1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strat-O-Matic Memories Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 28, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got into it in 1982 because college roommate brought it into the condo. There were 4 of us and we had epic games. My favorite memory was rolling 6-12 and Johnny LeMaster hit a HR off his Nolan Ryan and he flipped the board. “”FUCKIN’ LEMASTER!” was heard for weeks on end. Remember guys like Jim Jeffcoat who had the reverse splits, lefty RP great on righties not so good on lefties.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never played Strat-o-Matic, but as a kid my dad bought the 1980 APBA game and we played it for years. We did a fantasy draft for the players and each had our 25-man team. Eventually we added a 10-man minor league team as well. Kept stats and everything.

I remember when we first got it, Dad told me to sort the cards out. They come in envelopes for each team, and he wanted me to go through and sort them into 10 or 12 piles by position. My 7-year-old brain misunderstood and thought he meant pull them out of the envelopes and stack them one by one. So he comes home from work and finds about 650 cards neatly covering the entire living room floor, from one wall to the other. I'm pretty sure a face palm ensued.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I played the hell out of it a few years back with 1982 cards. The game is sneaky addictive.
    Was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago and somebody mentioned how Scott Linebrink was coveted in Strat drafts every year.
    He was good for 68 appearances and 70-75 innings a year of reasonably quality work in an era of horrible middle relief pitching.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Had some football and baseball leagues with coworkers back in the ‘90s. Would stay after work or go to each other’s homes.

I remember having four punts blocked on one game. It would only happen when you rolled a 12. And I kept rolling it.

If only I could have that luck at the craps table.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have an active league with my sons. We've gone through a few leagues in the last couple of months. We play until we all decide to call the playoffs and then draft again. I won the last WS for the first time in a while, and we've now added a 5th team for the first time as my 11 year old daughter decided to join. We can film and broadcast if anyone is desperate for live sports.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Played as a teen, played again in a league when I was at the Phoenix. Tried the football game when it first came out around 1970, but each game took like twice as long as a real game, so gave it up.

7. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I've played a ton of Strat-o-Matic and had two no-hitters. One by Nolan Ryan on the '75 Angels and another by Sid Fernandez on the '85 Mets. In the Fernandez game, the Mets actually lost 1-0. Walk, SB and error on throw, then a sac fly. Good times.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Never heard of it.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I played Strat for a while in the early Eighties. Sold off my game set a few years ago.

I also played Sports Illustrated Superstar Baseball, with 250 all-time all-stars (as of 1974); I updated the set in 1984-85 with about 100 newer stars and 20-30 Negro Leaguers.
    I guess the SI game lives on now as StatisPro Baseball. I've thought about doing another 100-player update to cover the last 35 years, and then giving the set to my baseball crazy nieces.

More recently, I've played Tony LaRussa Baseball II, which was a DOS based computer game from 1992-93 which featured each franchise's all-time team; I've updated that too to include the new additions to the all-time teams. One thing that's pretty amazing is, that if you pick an all-time Yankees roster of 25 players, probably a half dozen are from the last 25 years. Most other teams show similar results.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Huggy likes this.
  10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I just remember that Manny Mota for some reason was one of the better players I had ... Always was in the league leaders.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have that SI Superstar Baseball game as well as Title Bout Pro Boxing, another SI/Avalon Hill game I played incessantly.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Superstar Baseball and Statis Pro were two different games that co-existed in the Avalon Hill/SI product line. Superstar was the one with the past players, while Statis Pro was like Strat-O-Matic, with the previous year's player cards.
    I had Statis Pro and played that a lot. I would make up my own teams and dealt the cards to each of the teams, so I would have, for instance, Steve Garvey playing for Pittsburgh, Mike Schmidt for L.A., and Steve Carlton for San Francisco. I had a tournament-type things with the semis and final a best-of-seven.

A couple years before I got Statis Pro, I got this game called Longball, which the same kind of thing, although that didn't have much staying power. I never played Strat-O-Matic, although I would always see the ads for it in Baseball Digest.

Draft saved Draft deleted