1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strasburg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 8, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He'll get hit at some point. He's not literally Jesus. But the combination of that fastball and the command of the change and curve -- and at his age and level of experience -- are scary. I don't see how anyone watched that yesterday and doesn't think that if he stays healthy and as grounded as he seems, he isn't going to be a very dominant pitcher for a long time. RedHot made it sound a bit like the Pirates are a rookie league team, and he's just waiting for Strasburg to face a real team of major leaguers like the Phillies.

It's the other way around, though. If he keeps pitching at that level, Utley, Howard and Werth are going to be dreading facing him, not the other way around. Even if they occasionally get the better of him, it isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He won't strike out 14 of them. They may hit it out on him more often than others. But he won't be embarrassed out there - not by a long shot.
    This kid knew what he was doing with every single pitch last night. Every single pitch. If he was just a 99 mph fastball, I'd buy your point more readily. Does anyone think that's all he is after watching last night?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure, but I can't WAIT to see how he looks in pinstripes.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He seems great right now, but the true test will be his second trip through the league. Will they pick up a tip in his delivery? Will they see a pattern in his pitches?

Right now, though, I think we have the next Doc Gooden in DC.

5. Moderator1

He gets the White Sox in between Cleveland and Baltimore. It will be the night we convert YGBFKM

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Only if he throws a perfect game, and even then he might just be bored by it.

7. Moderator1

Mark Zuckerman has every pitch here.

http://www.csnwashington.com/06/08/10/Zuckerman-An-Overwhelming-Display-Of-Pit/landing_nationals.html?blockID=249846&feedID=280

8. Moderator1

To save you some counting: 39 pitches to get the final 10 outs, eight of them on strikeouts.

9. So do we start a new Strasburg thread after 25 pages?

What's the protocol?

10. Moderator1

I'd say in honor of last night, we only go to 14.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I missed the bottom of the sixth inning (and the two tape measure shots) because I had to take the dogs out for their walk. I think it might have been the first time I have ever taken the dogs out when the team I was pulling for was batting. I'll do the same thing for his next start.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Work last night consisted of watching the top half of each inning, working during the bottom half, ignoring anything that happened after the 7th.
    Spectacular debut.
    And like some others I had flashbacks to 1984-85 Doc Gooden.

Draft saved Draft deleted