1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strasburg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 8, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Disagree.

I don't care if it was the East Carolina Pirates, you strike out 14 in your debut and you're doing something special.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i think it was more that prior couldn't handle not pitching the same after his arm was shot. dusty didn't help.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Doc Gooden also had a pretty fast start before his career flamed out (much to his own doing, but still).

and that HARD HITTIN, NEVER QUITTIN. get it right.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm not sure anybody in baseball has better stuff and better command of that stuff than Strasburg. Already.

That was an incredible debut, I don't care who he was facing.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Older Dodgers fans will remember Karl Spooner...15Ks in his first start in 1954, 14 in the next. Out of the Majors by the end of 1955 with a shoulder injury.

This is not predicting a bad career for Strasburg, but he pitched against Pittsburgh last night.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine who has been gushing about Strasburg since before the kid was drafted insists that he would have carved up any team in the majors last night. Given how hard he was throwing, how nasty that curveball is and how good his command was, I have a hard time arguing.

That said, it is so easy for pitchers to get screwed up. Check out Zack Greinke from last year to this year. Somehow he can't find his slider and he goes from the best pitcher in the American League to a 4.05 ERA. Point being, the kid is living up to the hype and there is every reason to believe he will continue to dominate. But pitching can be very fickle.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

This was appointment viewing for me last night. I just wanted to see the kid pitch.

Was watching the pregame on MLB network, and right at 7, it goes black. Fuck.

Fortunately, I have Direct TV baseball package, but unfortunately, Nats games are usually blacked out in my neck of the woods.

But I did get the Nats feed last night, complete with that moron Dibble, who was already slobbering over Mr. Strasburg.

I don't care if it was against the Pirates, Strasburg had a hell of a debut. Sorta reminded me of when Mark Prior debuted with the Cubs, but only better.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Moddy is just counting the days until the Yankees can sign him as a free agent. ;D

Just joking. Nice to see the kid live up to the hype.

9. At Strasburg's age, Doc Gooden had 58 W, including a season year with 24 W, 268 K, 1.53 ERA, and a 0.965 WHIP

Just sayin'

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, at that rate, he must have finished his career as one of the best ever...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I always thought that 200 wins might have given Doc at least a Hall of Fame shot from the Veterans Committee, especially with the late-career no-hitter and two rings. At that point, he's Don Drysdale. But 194 will never cut it. Plus, I think there's a notion that nobody wants to reward self-destruction. Although I think arm troubles would have done him in anyway. That workload in his late tenns and early 20s was absurd. As much as old-timers like to bitch and moan about today's pitchers being coddled, there's no excuse for 276 innings at age 20.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good point. But watching Strasburg throw last night, young Doc was the comparison that kept coming to mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted