1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strasburg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 8, 2010.

1. Just an amazing debut. The kid deserves his own thread. Each of his starts are going to be appointment TV.

Call me a stat head but the thing I can't wait to see is who baseballreference.com lists as his most similar players. JR Richard? Nolan Ryan? Walter Johnson? Bob Feller?

What the Nationals fans experienced is what it must have been like in Boston when Ted Williams came up.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow I did not realize he was in the big show. He was drafted last year right?

3. DCguy

DCguy Member

The city was buzzing all day. The stadium was electric. The players were hyped.

And then the kid went out and just killed it. Takes some balls to show up and do that with all the expectations coming in. Hopefully he's Clemens and not Prior.

4. The hype for Clemens wasn't near the hype for Strasburg.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Susan "Oh My Goodness Gracious" Waldman made up for it in spades when Rocket returned to The Yankees.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, we didn't have BLOGS! back then.

8. That was a great pull by Passan. The hype for Strasburg may hurt Bryce Harper since he may feel compelled to top Strasburg. Just for the record let me say that Bryce Harper is already giving off serious Todd Marinovich type vibes

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My younger brother & I drove up to Albany to watch him pitch in AA.

Got great seats right behind home plate.

That kid had a hell of an arm.

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

Now that that's over -- and what a tremendous debut it was -- let's see how he reacts the first time he gets shelled. Prior couldn't handle the fact that people finally started to hit him.

One start does not a star make, but if he's half as good as he was tonight, he'll have a hell of a career.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

My buddy and I drove to see him in New Britain in the summer of '93. The traffic to the park snaked all the way to Route 9. I realize this is Swahili if you've been fortunate to never spend a lot of time in central Connecticut, but trust me when I tell you it was a MILES-LONG jam. Obviously, they were sold out and of course we didn't have tix, so we turned around and went home to play Strat-o-Matic.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I have to apologize, at first I thought you were talking about Strasburg, and wondered why the hell you would go see a five year old pitch.

On the other hand, how many former little league parents out there are bragging tonight about see him as a five year old?

Draft saved Draft deleted