1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strasburg scratched because he couldn't "get loose" - UPDATED, NEEDS TJ

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: Strasburg scratched because he couldn't "get loose"

Talk about ironic!

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Another thread in which I can't believe we are actually arguing... They have him on a pitch count, who cares that he wasn't ready and couldn't pitch. Better than risking injury on your superstar pitcher.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Riggleman said this morning that he's probably shut down for 10 days.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/07/riggleman_strasburg_likely_to.html

Nothing to see here, move along.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Butbutbutbutbut he's being babied!

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really what it amounts to is that the Nats can use him any way they wish - that is until he signs a multi-billion dollar contract with the Yankees some day.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

At least Eiland won't BABY him.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mark Zuckerman now saying he's going on the DL.

http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/07/strasburg-likely-headed-to-dl.html

Edit: Retroactive to July 22.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seven posts on this thread by the one-trick-pony ... alll mocking the idea that Strasburg has been babied.
    He has been babied. In this case, as soon as a kid of this ability has shoulder pain, you shut him down. But that does not mean he hasn't been babied to this point, as most young pitchers are now.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What does that even mean?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, but all seven have been pretty funny. Strasburg's arm is already fucked. It's over. Sorry.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Extremely low pitch count limits in the minors. They don't need to be throwing 100 pitches but 60-65 at Double A is not enough to build arm strength.
    They don't throw enough between starts. One bullpen session is not enough. Long-tossing -- not pitching -- every day builds arms strength.
    They don't run as much as pitchers used. Rube Walker, pitching coach ofnthe 69 mets (Seaver, Ryan, Koosman, etc.) beleieved in building leg strength and lower body drive to get more power on pitches with less strain on the arm.
    These things are why, with training methods and medicine suppsedly so much better today, it does not make sense that young pitchers have to be wet-nursed to prevent arm injuries.
    It's not a question of pitching in games as much as what they are allowed to and expected to do between starts to build their strength.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Superb points and goes back to my contention that they can't keep playing six-inning games with this kid. If his shoulder is hurt now, fine. That's not the information we had when I made the post. But to repeat, the arm is a collection of muscle, and you have to use it to get it strong.
    And yo, JC. I know it's Leo Mazzone. I confused the name with Frank Malzone or something. I wasn't aware you never made a mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted