1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strapped for cash, NFLers? Here's a loan to hold you over...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Apr 12, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Bentleys and mortgages aren't going to pay for themselves, I suppose.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201104/tpg-exclusive-cash-strapped-nfl-players-seeking-high-risk-lockout-loans#

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I assumed NFL players got paid once the season started so why is this off-season any different financially than any other?

Wouldn't it make sense for the trade union to give out the $60K in September if games were lost?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good question. Roster bonuses, and that's about it, right?

I know first-hand that one player -- Chris Cooley -- makes and sells pottery and other artsy things at a new gallery he bought in December. Went there Friday night for a showing. While it's nothing near what he makes in the NFL, he's doing OK based on the prices of some of those things. Dude also went to his local Redskins team store -- where he gets 40% off -- and bought up $6,000 worth of his own jerseys. He signed them and has them for sale at his gallery for $275. All kinds of other signed memorabilia there, too. Hats, shirts, pictures, framed jerseys, etc...

I overheard him telling someone that he's been pretty smart with his money and that he's doing just fine during the lockout so far. Apparently, some are not.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6229139

They get 17 big checks each year which go along with the 17 weeks of the NFL season.

The owners know half of these guys would be bankrupt by Halloween, but the players know the networks are going to destroy the owners if real players are not playing football.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Story mentions player-to-player loans and also makes it sound like institutional loans themselves have been somewhat commonplace, with Feely and others saying the guys should go to the bank. But it also says those kinds of unsecured loans are "a thing of the past," which is probably a casualty of the global meltdown and the tightening of credit afterward. What isn't said in there, but I wonder about, is whether banks and other reputable places are rejecting these loans because they aren't as likely to be repaid in September.

The guys making the loans, though, they sound like the scum of the Earth.

--I'm sure Jerry Jones is having a big old laugh on this one today.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

This is also why the players will cave. The NFL owners will win this labor strife going away thanks to the players' spending habits. Gotta have that Bentley and the bling.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That Dom champagne isn't going to spray itself [crossthread]

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll shut it down for a year, declare an impasse, then bring them back at $30,000 a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted