1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest job you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Aug 28, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For a few weeks one summer during college I worked for Columbia House, the 8 CDs-for-the-price-of-1 joint. All the new-subscriber mailings came to a warehouse and we had to code them before they were sent to another warehouse for filling.

If you think people are dumb, this job wouldn't change your mind. How hard is it to fill in the 6-digit CD numbers, your address and send a check? Apparently very, very hard. Some people wrote the titles instead of the numbers in those little boxes, some didn't put their zip codes, some asked for CDs not even in the book (sorry, people, you're getting Boston's Greatest Hits and you're going to like it!), some sent cash (which, in a room full of college kids making $6 an hour, never ends well). I feared for how these people functioned in everyday life.

2. I briefly worked as men's bathroom attendant at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.

All day long these guys tapping their feet (usually the right) and then reaching under the door.
    I would just rush over and hand them some extra toilet paper.

Had one guy who sit in the stall and clap his hands, whistle and slam his fists into the toilet paper holder. ... Weirdo!

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always thought that had to be the, ahem, shittiest job out there. Having to listen (and smell) while guys painted the bowl or tore a deep one out while taking a leak...

4. joe

joe Active Member

Took glamour shots photos for 10 weeks in the most godforsaken cities in the United States.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Buddy of mine took yearbook photos for Jostens.

Good lord, did he hate it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

House demolition crew when I was about 16.

Three guys taking down an entire house with sledgehammers and crowbars.

And then sorting out the good stuff for the salvage company.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

Had to clean a sludge pit, which meant climbing down into a below ground tank, scraping the sludge off the walls and floor with a shovel, and packing it into a five gallon bucket which another slave, with more seniority, then had to pull back up to ground level, empty and repeat.

And if you don't know what "sludge" is. . . consider yourself lucky.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I was an owl vomit collector once. The next summer, I cleaned animal skulls and bones to put on display.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

From cleaning the field house at Rice University to choreographer for a heavy metal band. Odd.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i had a temp job in which i stood in front of a fax machine all day for 10 hours a day. this piece of shit fax machine took only one page at a time. i was faxing multiple page documents. i know in the grand scheme there are thousands of worse jobs, but for a college kid home during winter break, this pretty much sucked.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This guy laughs at all of your dirty jobs.

[​IMG]

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Signed on with a temp service the summer after I got out of college. My first temp assignment was at a box factory. I lasted one day. The only reason I didn't leave at lunchtime and never return was that I needed the supervisor to sign my sheet at the end of the day so I would get paid.

I can think of no greater way to validate the need for a college education than working one day in a box factory:

It's mind numbingly boring (you're making fucking BOXES!).

Your co-workers are, to put it mildly, not the cheeriest bunch, which is a nice way of saying they're either homicidal or suicidal. You would be too if you made boxes for a living.

Your supervisor might have a high school diploma somewhere in his family tree.

I still think about that day when I'm having a bad one a work. It usually cheers me up.

I also worked at a driving range a couple of years later when I was between jobs. That didn't suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted