1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange Question: Anything To Do In Toledo?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 20, 2009.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Gino's Pizza. A buddy from Toledo told me it was the best pie anywhere and it's pretty damn close. He also swears by Packo's.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Courtesy of John Denver

Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio is like being nowhere at all.
    All through the day how the hours rush by, you sit in the park and you watch the grass die.

Ah, but after the sunset, the dusk and the twilight, when shadows of night start to fall.
    They roll back the sidewalk precisely at ten and people who live there are not seen again.

Just two lonely truckers from Great Falls, Montana and a salesman from places unknown
    all huddled together in downtown, Toledo to spend their big night all alone.

You ask how I know of Toledo, Ohio? Well I spent a week there one day.
    They've got entertainment to dazzle your eyes: go visit the bakery and watch the buns rise.

Ah, but let's not forget that the folks of Toledo unselfishly gave us the scale.
    No springs, honest weight, that's the promise they made,
    so smile and be thankful next time you get weighed.

And "live and wet live", let this be our motto, let's let the sleeping dogs lie.
    And here's to the dogs of Toledo, Ohio, ladies, we bid you goodbye.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

It's been about 15 years since I've been in that area, but Packo's is a must. But I also highly recommend Frickers. To this day, the best wings I have ever had. Several locations around Toledo.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

His buddies wanted to go to Akron. Pete said that would be just a little too much excitement.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

While irt can't compare to the loveliness of Toledo, I have to be in Peoria next week.
    Same question once removed. Anything to do in Peoria?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Head to Tiffin and TP the suits' house. It's a longer trip than from Toledo, but well worth it.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd recommend "drink heavily".

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bring your dog. Throw it a ball. See if it'll play in Peoria.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Old Navy Bistro, across the river... excellent food... coupla good places in a brewery along the river as well.... packo's is OK. Sausage dogs, if you're into that, although the pickles and peppers rock. place down summit, north of the stadium, called Mug Shots. Used to be where the Blade-os hung out. Course, they won't be there on a Saturday and it can be a rough neighborhood. If you dig greek/lebanese food, the Beirut is the bomb.
    I knew some great dive bars once a upon a time ago, but damn if I remember where any of them are.

10. I had a college basketball teammate whose grandmother was running a crack house out of Toledo until she got arrested. She was stricken with cancer and, I think, just took the fall to keep one of her kids from ending up in jail. She died before ever going to trial. No joke.

So, I guess maybe I could check and see if that family business is still in operation.

Other than that, and Mud Hens' game, I got nothing.

11. your attempt construct me
    in the interest of passion
    you sent me
    to toledo

</white stripes>

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Tony Packo's is across the street from the first base entrance to Fifth Third Field where the Mud Hens play. If the Mud Hens are in town, hit Tony Packo's about 4:30 - 5:00 in the afternoon for a few beers followed by dinner. Then waddle across the street and take in a minor league baseball game.

That takes care of Friday night.

What you might do to occupy yourself for the rest of the weekend in Toledo is a mystery to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted