1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange problem with attachments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Jun 1, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

When I attach a Word document in Gmail, it sends a previous version of the file. I've checked and rechecked to make sure I'm sending the right thing, but I'll send the correct file updated, and it reverts back. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Any ideas?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Word used to have a major problem with data from prior versions of a document being buried in the document after the data was changed — one of the reasons I stopped using it. Don't know if that's related, but it might be.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Temporary fix -- save the file (awesome story.doc) with a new name such as "awesome story revised.doc."

Permanent fix? Not sure about this one, I've never had this problem. Do you have another email you could try it with and see if the same thing happens?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Before we got our new Macs, I told people to cut and paste the story into the actual body of the e-mail. I still encourage that. It cuts out the extra step of opening the attachment off e-mail and then copying the story, rather than copying it straight off.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here's one solution: don't use Word format. Send it RTF, or even ASCII text if the formatting's not necessary.

Just wondering: Which version of Word are you using?

Draft saved Draft deleted