1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange NYT Retraction on NFL HGH Testing Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Other writer might still have been working on it and this story got in first.

Just a guess.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This. Particularly the part about her being brilliant because this shouldn't be a reflection on her entire body of work.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She seems a bit to enamored with the "same old / same old" anti doping experts. This might have been the downfall of this story.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Either Macur misread the new NFL policy, or a source gave her bad information. It's one or the other. The NYT should simply say which it is.

Instead, the NYT seems to be throwing Macur under the bus by pitting her against another reporter in the context of a correction. That's both weird (uncharacteristic of the NYT) and mean-spirited.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if it's weird. It's definitely mean-spirited.

I've been at a lot of papers or seen it happen at a lot of papers where one writer is mad they weren't assigned a specific story and they don't give the proper background to the writer who is doing the story. I don't know if that's the case here or not...

6. mcgovern72

mcgovern72 Member

Frank Rich says it's all Rupert Murdoch's fault.

7. Boom_70

You mean he is no longer blaming George Bush for everything?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Really not understanding that retraction. What's the point of saying one writer had the info but another didn't and/or got it wrong? Is that supposed to be an explanation or an excuse?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, you just print that the writer got it wrong, print the correction and leave it at that.

10. Boom_70

It sounds like they were playing that old childrens game of telephone.

Julie called and said that......

11. lono

lono Active Member

Kenny Irwin just rolled over in his grave and doesn't know why.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Given all that's on Judy Battista's plate, and the fact that she came across as extremely nice in my one encounter with her, that seems unlikely. Battista might be the Times' top sports reporter at this point -- consistently brilliant, occasionally news-breaking and on the biggest beat in sports -- so I doubt she's viewing this through the shallow "why wasn't this mine?" lens. But I could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.