1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 20, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Wonderful Terrific Monds III was a minor leaguer in the Braves' system in the 90s.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Wonderful_Monds

Wonderful Terrific Monds II, strangely, is the current high school football recruit. God knows how they keep up with it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Girl I went to high school, her first and middle name was "Unique Surprise."
    I bet she was planned.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Reprobatus is among my all-time favorites. LSU/Alabama standout Phelon Jones is pretty good, too.

Strangest was that I covers a high school team with a player named Liquorori Jones (not real last name). Thought it was kinda odd, but whatever. About a week later, another school not five miles down the road called in with Liquoroi Smith. I stopped the coach and said, I thought his last name was Jones. Coach said: "Different kid. I was a stunned as you were."

At that paper, there's a cops reporter who has held that position for years upon years. Long ago, he started keep track of strange names. Here are some of his favorites from his list: Fartivus Fomby, Devious Wilson, Phetis Porter, Kervorkious Stockdale and Fetisha Samples.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We had a high school tennis doubles team of Good-Knight.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Furious Bradley - Played on the Miss. Gulf Coast and now plays for Southern Miss. I'd always snicker when I heard that name.

Passion Camper - Basketball player from Mendenhall.

6. Went to school with a girl whose first name was "Joy." Last name was "Hole."

7. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Bunch of track prodigies in Oklahoma some 14 years ago - last name: Bumpass.

8. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

I once had a Courvosier Brandy (first, middle) in a high school English class the one year I taught.

Such a nice, studious girl to have such a terrible name. For the record, she went by Kiki.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I also believe there was a Seton Hall softball player by the name of Misty Beaver.. who is now a prominent coach, I believe.

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Dan borrowed those last two from me. I heard them from a middle-school counselor in Louisville. She said they were pronounced "o-ronj-a-lo" and "la-monj-a-lo."

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Those two are an old urban legend that has made its way around the block more than a few times.

12. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Fifteen years ago, she said they were 7th graders in her school. Wouldn't be the first time I've been lied to.

Draft saved Draft deleted