1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I call bullshit on this one. I've heard these urban legends and not once have I actually seen it.

That said, my favorite athlete in our coverage area is a football player named Atticus Grinder.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

At a prep basketball game a few weeks ago, a chubby girl finished singing the national anthem, then retreated to the student section and pulled on a retro team jersey with the name Fatzinger on the back. I can only hope the fat singer was named Fatzinger.

Also, have run into kids named Aryan. Coincidentally, all have been white.

3. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Call bullshit all you want (and I admit I wouldn't have believed it myself). I've known the woman for about 15 years and she wouldn't make that type of stuff up.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was going to say the same thing. I've heard this same story at least 3 other times, and two of them were on this board by other people. Official transcripts or GTFO.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's not so much making it up as being caught up in the "friend of a friend" deal, and all of the sudden, it's first person.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Football - Ayo Yayo

Basketball - Indiana Faithful

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

This guy wins. Why?

His middle name is 'Zucchini'

Delmonte Zucchini Jones

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/sep/04/security-guard-accused-stealing-ellis-park-tvs/

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's allegedly a "Shithead" around here, too, though no one has offered actual proof.

Dan Jenkins' Pottatus Frye, who played I believe for "Climpson," is my favorite fictional name. Moreso than Orangejello and Lemonjello. Dan Jenkins is the master of names.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Same school that produced Monalisa and Reprobatus also, I believe, once featured my favorite:

Tecumseh Mayes.

10. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Asshole, but my wife worked in a hospital where a patient named her newborn Shi'thead and it was pronounced Shaw-teed.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's a girls basketball player around these parts named Diamond Godbolt. She often "shines" on the court, I'm told.

Ole Miss recently signed a junior college football player named Philander Moore. Should make a good husband one day.

But the all-timer has got to be former North Alabama basketball player Reprobatus Bibbs. Fittingly, he's now in the clink for slangin' crack.

Draft saved Draft deleted