1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 20, 2011.

1. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

What are some of the strangest players' names y'all have come across through the years?

I was covering a girl's basketball game the other night and had a Unique Johnson.

I had to fight the urge to write the sentence "Unique Johnson gave a great all-around performance on the night, driving hard in the hole and scoring on multiple occasions."

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Covered a wrestler named Kurt Bangle. Another wrestler in the state's name was Brock Glessner.

Of course, Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal in wrestling before turning "pro," and Brock Lesnar also was a collegiate wrestler before going pro and navigating into MMA.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

JoJo BozBoz

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All name team of ... whatever year. Uwe Blab, Baskerville Holmes, Anicet Lavodrama, Reginald Pink ...

I'm pretty sure (but I'm sure I will be corrected) that they all played at the same time. Best name year ever in college basketball.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I covered a kid named Heywood once **** hey, sorry. Someone was going to do it. Might as well be me.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This dude named Some Fucker kept finding himself in our photo captions.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I do some substitute teaching and have kept a list of students with messed-up names.

I've had kids in class named Marcellus Wallace and Zach Morris, with both being about the right age to have been named after the characters.

Some other messed-up names: K'La (pronounced Kayla), Nachaelynn, Shattrellbeea, Wenzdae (pronounced Wednesday), Chaeliegh (pronounced Kaylee), Narisheana, Schuyler (pronounced Skylar), Zaybreann, Aireal (pronounced Ariel), Sarrahmindel, Adiamond and Chel-C (pronounced Chelsea).

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't think Schuyler was that messed up. I mean, it's not common, but it's the most common spelling of that pronunciation, no?

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Cyn-De was one I've seen. I've also seen a Sundy and a Sundee.

On the boy's side, there was a Du'Shaun. Coach kept sending it in spelled DuShawn.

Last night in a juco game, the other team had a Jazmynn.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It used to be. Around here, though, "Skyler" has taken over with an occasional "Skylar." The latter I've seen as a girls' name.

A couple of years ago, the local football team did have a "Schuyler." His father was an assistant principal. Everyone kept pronouncing it "SHY-lur."

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Yep, Schuyler is the traditional spelling of the name that has morphed into Skylar and its multiple variations.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In the same spirit, any all-name NFL team has to include Wonder Monds, Fair Hooker and Sanjay Beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted