1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange link on Oklahoman site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Came across this Wednesday a.m.:
    Any guesses/translations/explanations?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Looks like that would be a test story.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's one for the clip file.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Someone probably created a file, filled in some dummy text and was going to swap it out later — they either forgot about it, and it published, or they forgot to unpublish at the beginning.

Sometimes I post test stories with titles like "Testy Mctesterson" and leave them unpublished until I can fill in the blanks later. Of course, you have to be twice as careful that way.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

I'd think it's just an automated system where once any story is punched, it's posted online with a link among the headlines. It'd be a much better story if he'd taken time to identify the woman.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You have to recache, or in other words, refresh whatever page the story would be on before it posts.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It was bad hair, though.

9. Really bad. Cost them the game.

10. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Im tempted to send this to everyone i know in an attempt to make the story climb their "most viewed" list...

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jesus, people. This is why you build a Dev site and wall it off from the public.

12. The Oklahoman does have a Dev site and that's where the article was originally posted. No clue how it went live on the main site.

Draft saved Draft deleted