1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange feedback

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JFT, Dec 6, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

happened to me all the time -- hell, i've even had it done at a bcs school for football and an ncaa tournament team in basketball. i shit you not. great coaches both places, but still.

and high school? happened all the time.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, I hate to even wade into this one slightly, but ... (be kind, BYH).

The whole thing is weird, but I too think there might be a valid point about interrupting a practice.

See, practice (training) for distance runners is (if the coach is any good) a carefully thought out and carefully timed longer run or series of shorter ones where the distances run and interval (rest period) is critical. It's not like taking a few plays off during a football practice.

If you're running 12 x 400 meters in 70 seconds with 90 seconds between each, that's important. You can't do six and then take 10 minutes off for pictures, and then start again. That's not how it works.

If it's 12 miles, it's supposed to be 12 miles, not six and six with a 15 minute break.

If you're good at this, or aspiring to be, those kinds of workouts are more important than publicity.

The rest of it, the father sounds like a dick. But ...

(Slinking quietly off.)

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You're right, it's called interval training. I never understood it. never questioned it, either. Coach blew whistle, we ran. And eventually puked. That would make good art.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

knowing the coach in question, it was the coach who interrupted practice

i read the story, saw the picture and have no idea why this parent is upset -- based on the sport and the school, must just be a nut

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with SF here. Though in my note to the parent, I would just point out that you went through the coach. If the coach was dumb, that's his bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted