1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange feedback

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JFT, Dec 6, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bingo.

It's fucking cross-country. Mid-practice Q&As should be embraced--nay, mandatory. We would have shat our pants with joy if the local paper showed up to interview us halfway thru the annual 12-mile run thru town.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I'm sorry, but did the step-dad really say "hit me back" in his email?
    WTF?
    Is dad in seventh grade? Should you IM him if you happen to see ol' dad online adding the latest Hannah Montana tune to his myspace page?
    And who thinks newspapers select runner of the year based on which coach buys ads?

3. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Link to the story, please. I'd like to have all the info before I decide whether this parent is completely insane or just run-of-the-mill crazy.

4. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Dad needs to put down the bottle.

And as far as "misquoting," only JFT and the kid know the truth, but I tend to give the writer the benefit of the doubt, especially since parents (who weren't present for the interview mind you) accused me of doing so. "Misquoting" is the high school parent way of saying "I didn't like the quote."

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But if you don't write about the kid and don't name him runner of the year, how will he get a college scholarship? Clearly the stepfather is not thinking ahead.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

personally, i love parents who bitch to keep their kids out of the paper. kind of refreshing, actually.

7. I'd just write him back and say, "OK, if you (and your stepson) don't want the attention, you won't get it. Tell him to enjoy his junior college career."

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Very true.

9. JFT

JFT Member

I forgot to mention that the piece was a weekly Q&A we do for different prep athletes. How do yo misquote somebody in a Q&A? It's word for word.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's a tip: Don't cover cross country.

No one fucking cares.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

JFT,

That's a weird one. Granted.

I would respond this way, however.

Mrs. G.,

Thank you for your email. I am sorry you weren't happy with the story on the team.

We take accuracy seriously here at the Podunk Press, and I was especially concerned about your statement about the players being misquoted. If there was an error, we will correct it.

Can you be more specific about what you think was wrong, because I have it on tape and can doublecheck it ((if this is true)).

Also, regarding practice, we always check with the coach about when we are allowed to take pictures of players or interview them. Any concerns they have about interrupting practice are honored.

Thanks again for your email. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Joe Schmoe

-- Do not let her throw a vague accusation of a misquote. Challenge her nicely. And make it clear that you will honor coaches wishes about when to talk to players at practice, not parents.

Good luck.

12. I agree with Ace. Don't let anyone challenge your accuracy or credibility. If you have the tape, play it for your SE or ME, especially if the parents write a letter to the editor that's going to be published.

Draft saved Draft deleted