1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stranded overnight at an airport? You need the Mini Motel.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When I was a kid and we went on vacation, we were all about some Motel 6s. With five people, and back in the 80s when they were relatively new, it was a cheap way to go. Lots of them had those vibrating beds, though. My parents told me they were for back massages and I believed them. I realize now, with increasing horror, why my mom always wanted that bed. And why she'd occasionally give me a quarter to put in the machine. :p

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

eeewwww, Batman. Just eeewwww.
    --
    My daughter went on a school group trip and stayed at a Microtel. Next door, there was a Hampton Inn (which is where we usually stay when we travel) and she significant amounts of time staring out the window at it thinking, "ooh, we could have stayed there." Apparently, the Microtel had issuez.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought of the Bathroom Buddy?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That place I linked to? Sign said that.

I had a busted connecting rod in my car's front suspension, so it's not like I had any choice. :-\

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Are those even allowed in airports, or would security harass you for trying to put that up in case you were making bombs inside it or something?

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Never flown through there, thank goodness. And I don't know how I have managed to dodge it so far.

True. I'd be terrified to fall asleep anywhere, given the fear that someone would yank my luggage. I'll knock on the fake wood-stained finish this desk has and hope it doesn't happen in the future.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

O'Hare is going to look like Yellowstone Park.

That is awesome.

8. Mizzougrad96

Hell, I'd want one of these just so I can work in peace and without the glare that always winds up on your laptop when you try to type in an airport.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Also will promote a significant increase in airport hook-ups.

If the tent's a rockin', don't come a knockin'.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Had to stay overnight at the Miami International Airport for seven hours between an international flight and a domestic flight in early 1991 when I was in college. After nearly having my luggage taken away and destroyed because I left it alone for a moment to go pee (no, no foot tapping involved), I wound up sleeping on top of the luggage at the gate for my next flight. What fun.

11. Mizzougrad96

I've lost track how many times I've been stranded six hours or more in O'Hare or Hartsfield.

I was stuck at Stapleton Airport once for about 36 hours while trying to return from a ski trip when I was in high school. That was the worst.

I was stranded overnight at LAX a few years back after they canceled my flight to Hawaii for a friend's wedding. It was the last flight of the day and my friend and I went to watch all of the people flying in from the flights from NYC and looking for celebrities. There were quite a few.

Draft saved Draft deleted