1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

straightening the curves, flattening the hills

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Nov 9, 2006.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've been gone from the board for a while, as I'm in news these days. But I thought I'd come back to offer a somewhat sobering tale...

Recently, I was driving alone on a sandy dirt road in the country. I'd been drinking beer and was going faster than advisable. I lost control and rolled my truck. It was a near-literal miracle that I escaped with minor injuries. Most people in accidents like the one I experienced don't walk away.

I don't share this tale because of any masochistic desire to do penance on an internet message board. I realize that in relating this story, I risk ridicule or censure...all deserved, admittedly.

The reason I mention this is that I'm aware of the fact that in the world of sports journalism, there are plenty of guys and gals who like to have a few drinks. Not a big deal until you get behind the wheel. One aspect of my story is that historically, I'm usually quite scrupulous about keeping alcohol and automobiles off the same page. If I plan on having more than one, I almost always walk or at least bicycle to and from my destination. But that "almost" is a big word. On the day of my crash, I was visiting a friend in the country...too far to walk or bike...and broke my rule.

All it takes is one time.

If one person who reads this calls a cab next time they're drunkenly fumbling for their car keys, the few minutes I spent typing this will have been well spent.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry to hear about what happened, irish, but I'm glad you came through relatively unscathed. Welcome back to the board, BTW. And it's damned good advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted