1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan's "alternative lifestyle"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

I thought she was one. The whole time I've been reading this in my head I'd been picturing a black woman, FWIW.

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I don't think race has a role in this, people in NY see plenty of mixed ethnicity couples so it's really not a big deal here.

One reason this divorce is getting a lot of play is because Strahan and his wife chased publicity for years. When he had his kids, it was in the press. He was renovating a house and was on TV with his wife picking out floor tile and drapes, telling everyone how involved in the design he was. His wife hosted a TV show for a while.

This is a classic case of people wanting to use the media to further their careers, then being shocked when the media covers something that's not so pleasant. I don't care one way or the other about any of the details of the Strahan's marriage, but they are reaping what they have sown.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I can't believe this thread reached five pages and no one has yet speculated on the possible movie title for this episode. May I suggest "Brokesack Manhattan"?

Seriously, to suggest this would not have received any publicity without the gay angle is off the mark. Any major-league athlete getting a divorce is going to wind up in the papers. Especially in New York, where there are a gazillion reporters and they all need something to put in the paper. Sure, the gay angle means the media scrutiny is more intense, but this would have been reported anyway.

4. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Yeah, but only if the wife was white [/whitlock] ::)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She should go into politics.

6. boots

boots New Member

perhaps this explains the gap in mike's mouth.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Like it or not, there are still some places in society where being gay is absolutely not allowed, particularly:

-- Professional sports (male, at least)
    -- Country music (can you imagine?)
    -- National politics

It would be front-page news if anybody in one of these arenas came out. Should it be? Hell, no. But it would be.

8. boots

boots New Member

Which brings me back to my original question. Does Mike prefer tight ends or wide receivers?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

When I say "national politics," I mean president or somebody in the first four levels in the line of succession.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And when Barney Frank's sexuality was more fully revealed in the page scandal some 20 years ago, it was splattered across the front page of pretty much every paper in the Northeast and led the local news for weeks.

Given the way the media handled Conditgate, which still had everything to do with sex though nothing to do with sexual orientation, I reckon a Frank-like outing without the scandal still would receive big play.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

How ironic is it that the poster being slammed by getting told to take it up the arse is boots? unbelievable.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The secret is out. . .

Strahan is the basis for the Probie character on Rescue Me (switch po football player with young firefighter and you are set).

"Do you think that you might ever want to give it a try?"

"Definately not"

Draft saved Draft deleted