1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan's "alternative lifestyle"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Why did I read the thread title as "Starman's 'alternative lifestyle'"?
    I mean that in no way as a shot at Starman [not that there's anything wrong with that], I just had to read it twice to figure out what the hell it said.
    Time for a new perscription, I suppose.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A simple question:

Who the fuck cares?

Why is it so goddamn titillating that Michael Strahan may or may not be gay?

Isn't there real news that the Post and News should be covering?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

hockeybeat, lad, it's the Post and News for one thing -- kind of self-explanatory -- but I think that if a prominent NFL defensive lineman did turn out to be gay, given all the social sports ramiifications, it might be pretty big news generally. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it would be.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't going to weigh in on this. But can't resist. Not a chance he's gay. The reason for the divorce in the first place was the young hooch he was getting behind his wife's back. At best, he'd be bisexual, which is also ridiculous. Keep in mind, this divorce has been nasty from the get go. His wife fiirst accused him of physical abuse, and the charge was dropped. This is just roll in the mud, get as nasty as you can and smear him stuff.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Unlike any kind, well-intentioned steroid accusations.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Maybe it's that I live in New York and see people of all kinds of races and sexual preferences every day, but I could not care less if Michael Strahan is gay, straight, black, white, purple, Martian. I just don't care.

I would think in 2006 someone's sexual preference--and there's no proof, other than a jilted ex-wife who wants her cut--wouldn't be an A-1 story, complete with screaming headline.

7. The Big Ragu

You wouldn't care if he was a Martian?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not particularly, no.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

HB...I'm not disagreeing with you on this particular story. And like you, I don't care what he is/was. Not in 2006.

But in the world we live in, if it were a fact, it'd be news.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Okay, but what the Post and News are running is unadulterated crap. There's no evidence that Strahan is or is not gay, other than what his soon-to-be ex-wife SUGGESTED to reporters. Until there's proof that he is or is not gay, it's just another celeb divorce.

11. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

that, i would put on A1

12. The Big Ragu

Congrats. You just passed that "news judgment" test on the journalism part of the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted