1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan vs. Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Nov 29, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Look. Just because he rooms with a single man doesn't make him gay.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

And hey look it!!! A_F gets his photo of Kelly!! Finally we learn if she's hot or not!

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did I say that? Did I imply that? Did I even hint at that?

Not that there's anything wrong .....

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

First, Shockey and Tiki napalm the coaches to the media over the course of the season. Now, Strahan is adding to the mess. Strahan doesn't come across as one who was trying to intimidate Naqi exclusively because of her gender - I get the impression that would have happened with anyone except perhaps a member of the jockocracy disguised as a working media member (and that wouldn't happen anyway because most of them won't criticize current jocks).

Wellington Mara has to be spinning in his grave. Ugh.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Spnited, you are dead on with Mr. "I'm a bigger star in Gotham than Tiki Barber". It's one thing to criticize what takes place on the field. It's quite another when a prima donna blowhard is not on the field (d/t injury) and runs his mouth, just because he thinks everyone loves to hear him. He stabbed himself in the back today. Plaxico and Kelly took a step back let Strahan pull that Ginsu knife out of his locker and impaled himself on it.

In nirvana, it would be nice if a gag order was put on the Giants locker room, but this is New York media. I think Coughlin is saying to himself "fuck those three pussies, Tiki, Strahan, and Shockey. All they do is talk hot air, are media hungry and wants to be beloved in this city. And they don't have a Super Bowl ring to back any of it up. I don't care if I get fired now."

Ginger, it's ironic that Strahan would tell Naqi to look him in the eyes like a man, and on Monday, he didn't bother to approach Plaxico in the eyes-mano e mano-about giving up on that pass play. Instead, Ol' Gappy tooth made a microphone on his radio show look him in the eyes like a man.

This is totally off-subject, as a personal POV, I have had this long-held belief that Strahan and Barber have been waging ego fight in that locker room to be the 2006 NY Giants version of Frank Gifford: the next big star. Strahan is the loud-mouth jabberjaw who thinks he sounds smart, while Tiki is the clubhouse lawyer who tries to keep things low so that it doesn't make him look bad before he starts his career in front of the camera.

I'm sure that I'm wrong with this whole perception, but that is what it looks like to a peon like me.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Salisbury would make him cry once he got done frying his ass on radio and ESPN.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

D-3, I think you are dead on in your Tiki-Strahan observation and not just this year. It's been that way for about 5 years now.
    And they are not and never will be the best of friends.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll bet the dope lost plenty of coin wednesday in advertising dollars.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

On one hand I am getting tired of ESPN blowing up stories and making them bigger than they really should be. Its seems to be happening more often these days. Where were they after Crackpipe Irvin made his ill conceived racial comments on the Dan Patrick show last week.

On the other its pretty funny that they trumped their competitor - WFAN to a story that started at FAN. The FAN beat reporter either blew it or was afraid to ask.

WFAN does seem to take the "ED Coleman" see no evil hear no evil approach with NY teams they have close relationship with.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

D-3, I could not agree more with this statement, as Spnited also said. This was one reason I've been on Tiki all year as a distraction: He knew he was leaving this year, and damn it if he wasn't grabbing for the brass ring in the Frank Gifford sweepstakes. By itself, that might not be such a big deal, but when you have teammates who also want that brass ring, it will eventually bite you in the ass. Strahan has been out of the spotlight for weeks, and now he gets served up an opportunity like this to be visible in what is likely the Giants' last viable week on the NFL radar screen? There's no way the 'Real' 'Next Frank Gifford' is going to pass up that opportunity. Hey Tiki, I made the back page, what you done lately, wannabe Next Frank Gifford?

Yes, you say, he wasn't looking for this, he really just wanted to squelch the situation, etc. Right. And Tiki didn't want the NYT reporter to tell the world he was retiring, either.

Nice job, D-3. Or should I now call you D-1? : )

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

A perhaps naive observation from someone who has nothing to do with the Giants and hasn't been in a Giants locker room since Bill Arnsbarger was the coach -- aren't Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan hoping some day for work in the TV/Radio field? That becomes a bit of an intrigue in light of how this "dispute" started.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Deion dumped a pail of water on McCarver, and had a big-time studio gig immediately upon retirement.

Draft saved Draft deleted