1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan vs. Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Re: Strahan vs. Reporter ... bizarre

Good point ...

2. Re: Strahan vs. Reporter ... bizarre

I didn't get the sense he was being sexist at all. Just pissed off. I bet everyone here personally has seen several tirades more notable than this.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Re: Strahan vs. Reporter ... bizarre

I don't think Strahan was being sexist.
    I think -- but don't know for sure because I wasn't there and am only going on what I've heard from those involved -- someone told Strahan questions were being asked about his WFAN comments, or maybe Plaxico confronted Strahan in a back room after the comments were read to him.
    And instead of not making himself available to the media, or saying, "yes, I said that, I stand by it, next question," Strahan decided to be a jerk. It's not much different than when he bullied the beat writers early in the year because their news sections reported on his nasty divorce.

4. gingerbread

He was spitting the hot dog. If you're going to make a scene on national tv, at least have some manners and keep your mouth shut while chewing.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

So what would you guys have done in this situation?

You have a few options:

1) Argue back just as firmly
    2) Politely attempt to reason with him
    3) Stand there and take it
    4) Laugh at the sheer absurdity of it all

It seems like anything except standing there and taking it would have only escalated the situation.

At what point does your pride kick in?

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Not to sound like an anal editor type (though I am), but it's defuse, not diffuse. One defuses a tense situation, making it less dangerous, as in defusing a bomb. Diffuse means to spread thinly, scatter or break up.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve, like people writing phase instead of faze or shoe-in instead of shoo-in.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Joe - you should have been at Stahan's locker today. You could have corrected his usage.

Excuse me Mr Strahan but the correct word is ......

Also please don't speak with your mouth full of food.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If it were me, because I'm not one to take shit from anyone, I point out that Strahan made his comments on Plaxico on his weekly radio spot. They are fair game.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

5. Mimic a guy talking with his mouth full of hot dog: "Mbbbbwmmmehh, mmmmbbbbbwerew gllppp, bloop."

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I really don't know if I would have been able to keep a straight face. I know he can't control it, but his lisp sounds hilarious when he's pissed off. Add the mouth full of food to it, and I really think I might have started laughing.

11. gingerbread

Strahan was PAID to make those comments. At least $1000 for each weekly interview, from what I hear.
    And Joe, thanks for the edit. Boom isn't the only one who used the wrong word.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'd point to his chin and ask, 'You gonna eat that poppy seed?'

Draft saved Draft deleted