1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story Publishing Issue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cansportschick, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have a situation that emerged today with a soccer coach, who we go to every year for a profile. He sent me an email demanding that we cover the girl's soccer team that he coaches because my publication failed to print the review on his team last year.

I was the one last year who wrote the article and submitted it to my publishing boss for print. However, he tells me after the fact (meaning after he sends the article to print) that due to advertising dollars he had to cut the story. It was a vital story that we needed for the yearly soccer issue that I put together.

Basically, I am wondering how you would deal with this if you were in my shoes.
    Would you make the publisher issue a response , knowing that he will fudge the truth or does the writer/assignment editor send the response and tell the honest truth of what went down.

Have any of you been in this position before?

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I have never, ever heard of a story being held because of a problem with advertising. "Coach, I wrote the story last year but it didn't run because of X. I want to make it up to you this year and if you have a problem, my boss's phone number is XXX-XXXX."

And if the coach calls your boss I would be prepared to be tossed under the bus. I (heart) this business.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/46713/

3. Cansportschick

My boss is money hungry so Serve, it's no surprise. This is his style. He has done it numerous times so he can make the extra buck. I have worked for him for four years and he has pulled stories but this is the first time a coach has contacted me.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

>>>He sent me an email demanding that we cover the girl's soccer team that he coaches<<<

it always kills me when they demand coverage.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

My opinion.

You politely tell him that the story was written, but a decision was made not to publish it. That's all you can tell him.

Then tell him that if you can, you will cover a game when you decide to. I am sure you can make it more polite than that.

6. Cansportschick

Thanks for the suggestions. I have until at least tomorrow afternoon. Then I have to see the coach face to face because I have to go to the team's game. Not that I am actually covering this coach's team. They are playing the powerhouse team who has dominated girls soccer the last number of years and we are trying to see if this particular team can continue dominance with so many key players out.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has anything to contribute, let me know.

Draft saved Draft deleted