1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on the nightmare of covering the Knicks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Nov 28, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The NFL, after seeing this behavior and the Jets having the Manhattan stadium plan blocked by these foofs, will never, ever allow them in.

2. I know there is a school district just outside my paper's circulation area where it was policy that athletes not do interviews. Not a specific team's policy but an entire school policy.

Not sure if it's still that way anymore.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Money leads to strange bedfellows, my man.

If a team is up for the sale and the Dolans have the scratch--and let's face it, they do--both sides will negotiate.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Difference with the NFL is that they can afford to tell who they do and don't want around.

If Chuck/Jim offer X for a team, surely the NFL can find someone willing to pay just as much.

5. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

This quote from the story sounds very familiar to me:

“There are very, very successful teams out there that treat the media with dignity and respect and recognize that 90 percent of the time it’s a mutually beneficial relationship,” said David Waldstein, the former Knicks beat reporter for The Star-Ledger. “Every writer who covers the Knicks gets the impression that we are treated as the enemy.”

I've recently been called a foe and a negative f*** by an NFL coach I cover for a story he didn't want to get out. I feel their pain.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We have a winnah!

Gold, that first line is precious!

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks for posting that story.

It was a great read.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I once saw the Siena coach get tossed...and then saw his wife go to the bathroom and take a circuitious (sp?) route back just so she could scream at the ref during a deadball. The ref then tossed her. That was a first.

And if Fran whathisface is being a dick, well, he's only the second-biggest dickhead coach in the big game for all that matters in Albany.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the commercial does ask us to create our own, new villain. i think IT is our guy ... at least a loosely based character.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lots of fine folks, disguised as empty seats, at those "games" . . .

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why Ben are you saying the "announced" crowd is different than the actual crowd?

I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And at halftiime in Boston, Celtics 54, Knicks 31 ...

And somewhere, Red Holzman and Dave DeBusschere roll over in their graves.

what a fucking joke this once great franchise has become.

Draft saved Draft deleted