1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on the nightmare of covering the Knicks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Nov 28, 2007.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Agree with the second commenter: pure last-days-of-Nixon bullshit by Knicks management.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Heroes reference.

Actually, I think hiring Isiah Thomas is plenty. Any more is just overkill.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't give Nick Satan ideas!

4. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

wasn't the official reason for LB's dismissal that he gave an interview without a knicks pr person present? interesting stuff...

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The huckster Dolans just don't get it and never will.

Prior to their reign of error, MSG was concerned about putting forth a quality product--be it the Rangers, Knicks, MSG Network, the Garden itself, Radio City, etc...etc...

MSG Network wasn't a house organ. Often the Rangers and Knicks broadcasters ripped the teams when they deserved it.

In the summer of 1994, the Dolans bought MSG and they begun doing things on the cheap. Since then they have become increasingly paranoid about the media. MSG Network no longer covers the teams with an independent eye. The broadcast teams are forced to blow sunshine up the viewers' asses no matter how the Knicks and Rangers are preforming. To get a one-on-one interview with a player? It's easier to get face time with the Pope.

It's an unlikable organization, MSG. At its highest levels are Napoleonic control freaks who have created an atmosphere of fear and distrust, while a once proud organization crumbles like Rome.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I didn't know Norm Nixon worked for the Knicks.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I grew up rooting for the Knicks. New York is a basketball city.

And no one cares anymore. New Yorkers are tired of watching the Knicks act like assholes. I have not watched a game in two years. That ain't going to change until Isiah and Marbury and Dolan are out. A lot of Knick fans feel the same way. It's tough to watch them and enjoy their talents, knowing how they treat people. It's a disgrace.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Frank Isola will be involved covering the Knicks long after Isiah Thomas's Reign of Error is ended.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. By the time Isiah's gone, the whole league may be bankrupt.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Other than the literally hundreds of millions of dollars they have blown out the window on players any damn fool could have told them would turn out to be utterly worthless.

11. Isola has been one of the best beat writers for a decade -- and it's unbelievable that he has gotten the stories still that he has when the team is following him like this. Especially when the NY Post has been the team's mouthpiece.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Barry Watkins on why there are no one-on-one interviews: "We want to make sure players and coaches and all executives can focus on the task on hand.”

Good thing. Imagine how bad they'd be if they weren't singularly focused.

Draft saved Draft deleted