1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on the nightmare of covering the Knicks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Could the Knicks become any more of a clown college?
    I probably shouldn't ask that.
    Isola should set up his laptop at McAnn's and cover the game on TV, writing whatever he wants, however he wants to write it, and let the Knicks pound sand if they complain.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think this quote from the comments section might be the best part of that whole article:

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm glad they talked to the beat writers and got them to respond fairly honestly, rather than talking to the above-the-fray sports editors.

But the writers do come off a little like crybabies. The Knicks intentionally icing out Isola is wrong, but beyond that, the team isn't obligated to make the writers' jobs easier. And what was that crap about how the Knicks would treat the writers to dinner or other junkets in the past? Also, just what is Isola doing working for NBA.TV while covering the Knicks for the allegedly independent Daily News?

Nice, too, how the artwork depicts Lupica and Vecsey, who aren't the subject of the story. Artist probably had no idea what any of the beat schmoes look like.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I guess the connection is still working in his mom's basement. Or has he resorted to public access at the county library?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how would you like little spies alerting their higher ups every time you spoke to somebody? I'm surprised one of the beat guys hasn't taken a poke at anyone yet.

And it doesn't seem like "easier" is even in the equation with the Knicks -- just doing the minimum the NBA requires and making the writers as miserable as possible in doing so.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Isola could cover any beat and be great.

7. Sheesh. And I thought covering the Trail Blazers through their media policy was a pain in the ass.

8. td truckers

td truckers Member

And don't forget guys the story of when Dolan-Isiah were trying to force Larry Brown out of town and the beat writers were blocked off from the practice facility and for his last couple weeks on the job, Brown actually had to PULL OVER JUST OUTSIDE THE FACILITY AND GIVE ROADSIDE interviews, and even then he was "afraid" of what would happen...

9. Having PR drones spy on private conversations between reporters is way over the line if you ask me.

Sounds like something Fort Saban might try.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

At the risk of opening up a nasty can of worms (Mayfly, will you please pick up the white courtesy phone), I have to ask this question: what else has to happen before the entire Knicks organization hits rock-bottom?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The unleash a virus that wipes out 93 percent of humanity?

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

So they financed that "I Am Legend" flick?

Draft saved Draft deleted