1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on player tweets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jan 8, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's not like Penn State to hide information.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I got curious and looked up your story. I know it's not Watergate, but I love shit like this. God's in the details and all that, right? In my never-very-humble opinion, I thought you did a great job with it. You're obviously a thorough reporter.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Luggy,
    You have no idea how much that means to hear right now.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yup, read your story as well Rhody...well done. You laid out the facts and the rumors and meshed them well.
    Getting the coach on record with more than "no comment" or "I don't know" was good also.

5. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I, too, offer kudos on the story. Great idea

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Any word yet, Rhody?

7. Rhody31

The story got picked up by some papers in PA, then message boards, etc. Wednesday night PSU cut off talks with URI. No game.

8. Some URI coach was full of shit.

9. Rhody31

Not exactly. Nothing confirmable, but the story going public didn't help. Probably didn't help some outlets were saying which game was getting canceled.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I follow about two dozen local high school athletes, mostly football. The stuff that some of them tweet would mortify their coaches.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The great thing was, Rhody's story held up beautifully no matter the outcome because he reported the facts. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. Rhody31

I don't follow the high school kids. I find it super creepy.
    I do follow the college athletes. All the hoops players and the key football players, specifically for something like this.
    Problem is, the college I cover doesn't realize that had players on any of the big-time BCS schools tweeted a potential big-name opponent who wasn't expected to be on the schedule, it would have caused a firestorm.

Draft saved Draft deleted