1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on Greivis Vasquez playing for Venezuela

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by forever_town, Jul 13, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

First, a little background. When I initially called Maryland's SID for men's hoops, I was told I'd probably have to wait until the middle of next week for a chance to interview Gary Williams. Since then, I've since been able to score a phone interview with Williams for Monday. That means I'll be able to get a story into next week's paper rather than have to do somewhat of a two-parter.

This was what I came up with when I was not expecting to be able to talk to Williams. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially since I have some lead time to be able to turn this into something good.

Greivis Vasquez may just be getting ready for his sophomore season for the Maryland Terrapins men’s basketball team next year, but he’ll likely do so after representing his country this summer.
    The combo guard was named to the preliminary list of 15 players on the Venezuelan national team for the FIBA Americas Championships in Las Vegas from Aug. 22 to Sept. 22, according to a statement released by Maryland’s athletic department.
    Vasquez, who finished the season as the Terrapins starting point guard after coming off the bench earlier in the season, may play shooting guard for his national team, according to the event’s Web site. He earned a reputation among Maryland players, coaches and fans for his fiery personality and a propensity to play well in important regular season games.
    Vasquez scored 15 of his 17 points in the second half against Illinois, leading the way to a 72-66 Maryland victory Nov. 28 that snapped the Fighting Illini’s 51-game non-conference home winning streak. He nearly notched a triple double in his first-ever game at Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium, scoring 13 points, dishing off 12 assists and grabbing nine rebounds in the Terps 85-77 victory over the Blue Devils Feb. 28.
    “He knows the game,” Terrapins coach Gary Williams said after the game at Duke. “For a freshman he’s advanced in terms of knowing the game.” Several Terrapins players agreed, with some of his teammates pointing to Vasquez as a leader even as a freshman.
    “He is great. He is fantastic. I love his energy,” said Mike Jones, who finished his career as a senior after Maryland’s 62-59 loss to Butler March 17 in the second round of the NCAA tournament. “I love what he brings to the floor and the team.”
    The Duke Basketball Report, an independent Web site devoted to the Blue Devils also praised Vasquez after the game.
    “We continue to be impressed with Greivis Vasquez,” their staff wrote after the game. “He is very smart, very cagey and has a knack of making key plays at key times.”
    Vasquez and the rest of the Venezuelan national team will travel to New Zealand and play teams from that nation, China and Spain in an extended training camp, according to the Maryland athletic department. They will also face a team of all-stars from the NBA’s Developmental League.
    He earned honorable mention for the Atlantic Coast Conference’s All-Freshman team after averaging 9.8 points and 3.3 rebounds per game last season. He ranked sixth in the conference in assists with 4.62 per game. His Venezuelan national team will face Team USA in its first game of the tournament Aug. 22.
    Vasquez becomes the second Terp invited to compete for a spot on a national team in an international competition. Rising senior forward James Gist was invited to the Pan American Games Team Trials, which took place July 12 through Saturday at Haverford College in Pennsylvania. If selected for the team, Gist will take part in the Games from July 25-29 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Can you get Vazquez? It's a nice little note right now, but obviously missing more of a personal touch.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He's already left the country. I've already asked about that. I know that if I could get him, it'd definitely enhance the piece.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm not a fan of quoting DBR's "staff."

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Yup. I mean, this really isn't a story unless you can get Vazquez. There has got to be a way.

6. VJ

VJ Member

REALLY don't like using the DBR stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted