1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on fan who caught A-Rod's 500th - too much?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How do you know he's going to demand a lot of money for it? How do you know he's going to demand anything for it? Maybe he's a big A-Rod fan and will give it to him for an autographed ball and bat. Maybe he wants to keep it for his collection.

In any case, I don't believe catching that ball automatically vaults him into the category of public figure, especially if he is trying to stay away from publicity.

Legally, using all that information is fine. Otherwise, not so much. And the point made about the danger of pulling stuff off MySpace pages is valid.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Keep the ball? I don't think so.

The only reason he'll keep it for a period of time is because that will increase its value.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There may be an obvious answer to this question, but I'm not sure.

What eventually brings in more money: A-Rod's 500th ball or Bonds' 755th ball?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Again, that's an assumption you've made, not a fact. It's probably correct, but you don't actually know that.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're right, da man. Just my cynical side coming out. It's unfair for me to say that as fact. Guy could be stand-up all the way.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He can probably get between $100K-$200K for the ball... I hope he does. I'd rather see some fan get some money than have them be complete fools and trade in a fortune for a few autographs...

I'm guessing 755 will fetch $300K-$400K, maybe more and I'm guessing 756 will clear seven figures, but won't get as much as McGwire's 70th did..

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I thought I read somewhere recently that the auction house which originally bid $1 million for whoever caught Bonds' record breaking ball withdrew that offer and experts don't think it'll reach seven figures. That could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bonds' ball, without a doubt. The ball, regardless of taint (yes, I said taint), will still be worth a ton of money. A-Rod's still got plenty to go. There are 21 more 500 home run balls, only one other No. 755.

9. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Jesus Christ ... I didn't think Newsday using the info was THAT terrible until I read the article. Man, I don't even think Deadspin would sink that low (love the blog -- they just normally don't shy away from putting up MySpace/Facebook photos).

Here's one of the excerpts:

And here's how he describes himself in his profile: "I am VERY opinionated, but smart enough to know that I do not have all the answers so I am willing to listen. Pretty much with my personality, either you are going to find me quite humerous and love me, or you are going to hate me."

Why? Please, someone, anyone, tell me how this relates to ANYTHING. Here's a goddamned idea: Talk to his friends or family. The Associated Press spoke with his brother, and Newsday could've easily contacted one of his friends via MySpace. Hell, they could've contacted EVERY SINGLE acquaintance or friend the guy had on MySpace.

Instead, I couldn't help put wince while I read this guy's interests, dislikes, opinions, heroes and bio. It may be public domain, but what about journalistic integrity? Would it be too harsh to say Newsday should be ashamed? Because I think they should be ...

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Uh, he's not giving up the ball for an autograph and a bat.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd hope not. A-Rod has some nerve, thinking he'll get it cheap, given what he's raking, daily.

Kid has a shot to make a score. Somebody will pay. Hope it's plenty. Yanks get $5.50 for a box of Cracker Jack. They can kiss my ass.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Brad Paisley's take:

I work down at the Pizza Pit
    And I drive an old Hyundai
    I still live with my mom and dad
    I'm 5 foot 3 and overweight
    I'm a scifi fanatic
    A mild asthmatic
    And I've never been to second base
    But there's whole 'nother me
    That you need to see