1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story on fan who caught A-Rod's 500th - too much?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good digging, guys. We're all proud of you for that hard-hitting story... It added so much to the story... dont you have trash cans to wade through now?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Who the hell cares if he's opinionated or what his nickname is. That has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on with the ball. If not for it being on this site, I probably wouldn't have read any deeper than Zillo's final quotes.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Tough shit. He posted it for the world to see. He also showed up at a game and then was on TV.

There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in either instance.

But as noted, the extra information is just fluff.

I don't know how much a reporter should be trusting MySpace or Wikipedia for story information, either. If I was an EE, ME or SE I'd have to set some serious ground rules about using sites like those.

4. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

did i read this right? the guy who caught matsui's 100th homer caught another homer by cabrera later in sunday's game?

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Bingo. Perhaps it's explained elsewhere, but how did they get his name, cell phone, etc? Did the Yankees cough that up despite his requests for privacy - or how did that work? Surely you'd be lucky if you could pick the identity of a New Yorker just from a television clip.

I agree, the MySpace stuff, though perfectly legal, is beyond reaching for something.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did Franz Lidz write Newsday story?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yup. YES Network just about jizzed in its collective pants about it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sometimes I wonder if the kid blew off the reporter and the reporter wrote what he did somewhat as a "fuck you" to the kid...

The kid has a right not to talk and sometimes reporters have to write the story anyway... I would have written, "A-Rod's HR was caught by X, a Rutgers student, who declined to be interviewed.."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tough situation. But he knew he'd be hounded, and he should've taken precautions, meaning privatize his myspace account.

All of us dig on the Internets to find out information. Catching A-Rod's 500th homer is bigtime news. Reporters dug and found information on the ball-catcher. They used said information. He caught the ball in public, and is going to demand a lot of money for the ball, and thus he's a public figure now.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You have to be careful with MySpace pages and the such.
    The Boston Globe was reporting on a 24-year old Greek kid who killed his father, then offed himself. The kid lived in a town that escapes me. His first name was George.
    My buddy George lives in the same town. He is very Greek. The Globe, along with several other media outlets, used information from his MySpace account and ran his picture on the TV news. Although the last names were different, they had the following in common, enough for the lazy news people to use it - first name, heritage, town.
    For Newsday or any other publication to use MySpace is risky, because who knows who made that page.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I think the guy's a public figure but only to a degree.

Who caught McGwire's homer? Without an i'net search, who knows his name?

How about the guy who caught Sosa's 600th? Or the guy who has the one Bonds injected in the books to break Ruth's record?

Using available information is OK as long as the reporter or the paper's editors have some ground rules or understanding about what can or will be used from a MySpace-type site.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just think it's kinda smarmy reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted