1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story concepts that need to die

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Very true.

It's not the concept that matters, so much as what you do with it.

2. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

1) Gas or oil hike stories which seem to occur days after a significant hike at the pump, as if it is fresh news.

2) Quit talking to those thinktanks on the economy and talk to real people about the potential impact of a bad economy.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes ... but. ... If editors are saying we need to send someone out to interview fans during the game or do a story on the heat or whatever tired assignment, they are not saying "And put our best guy on it, dammit!"

They just want something fast to fill a hole.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Uhhhhhhh, heh-heh, uhhhhhhhh .... :D

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Uh huh. And if you do something creative and interesting with it, suddenly you're not the guy who has to go interview fans any more.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's great if you do. Really. I think a writer who can try to find a fresh angle in any assignment is great.

I just don't like cookie cutter assignments.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

All Christmas themed stories, and year end review stories. If they were important, I wouldn't need a reminder.

I also hate the athlete turkey drive story. Where was he when that guy was starving in August?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

But that's why they hired <b>you</b> instead of the 30 other people who applied for the job. You can take the seemingly mundane and make it into something interesting.

Henry Aaron hit 755 home runs when people were trying to get him out. They weren't putting it on a tee for him.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Our shop thankfully killed the year in review stories. You can make a list if you must, but the copy is dreadful. It's to fill space and nowadays that's not that important anymore. Papers just are never that big. In the old days, you could write a 60 inch year in review and they'd get it all in with no problem. BORING.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That's true. I HATE Year in Reviews. Capsules, maybe, with short summaries, but not novel-like copy about every damn single event.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I agree with most of the stuff on this tread except the overcoming adversity stuff. If you can write it well (which we're supposed to do) it can make for some truly compelling reads.

Readers eat it up, and honestly, it makes me feel like a schlep for complaining when Dr. J forgets to bring up the laundry. I know we're not changing the world with these pieces, but we can take our minds off of our readers' crappy lives for a few minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted