1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story concepts that need to die

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Sep 15, 2009.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Maybe this has been discussed before. I don't know. Anyway, the anniversary stories discussion in another thread got me thinking about other story concepts that newspapers need to retire forever.

I'll start. Some nominees:

1. The "old lady has a huge collection of ____" story.
    Does anybody, anywhere, give the smallest shit about this?

2. The "Hey, this football school has a good basketball team. Let's quote the football coach, hyuck, hyuck" story.
    Tell me something I don't already know.

3. The "Joe Dipshit is playing a game in his home state" story.
    Who gives a rip?

4. The "revenge game" story.
    Of course they want to win the game. Don't they always?

Also, in general, news side does way too many stories just because they got a press release about something. Ask yourself, is this interesting? Does anybody need to know this? Does anybody outside the group that sent me this release care?

2. mb

mb Active Member

5. What the child who was abducted and forced to live in a tent and bear her kidnapper's children missed during her captivity column.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

6. The "sisters/brothers/cousins on same team who have awful disease/drug habit/wounded in drive-by shooting" story.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

... which is related to
    7. The "player who's dedicating the game/season to his mother/father/grandparent who recently passed away" story.

"I wish Mom/Dad/Grandma could have been here, but wherever he/she is, I know he/she was watching," said Joe Blow.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. "Sports will help us heal from tragedy."
    Last week, some shortstop got a hit and set his team's career hits record. The team's radio announcers actually said something to this effect: "It's good that he got the hit on Sept. 11 because it will give people a happy reason to remember Sept. 11."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. The "we need something with art for A1, this thing should have good art, let's do a story on it" story.
    10. The heartbreaker "there but for the grace of God," thumbsucker. Apparently the WashPo spiked a story about someone who lost all their limbs.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn. I had the over on this one.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

11. What drunks at the bar have to say about the big game while watching it on TV.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

12. Hey, this team was really bad last year, but it's really good this year! Usually includes lazy transition like, altogether now, "What a difference a year makes."

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

So, so true.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

13. Girls playing on a boys team.
    14. The who gets what for Christmas column.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

15. Stories that focus on what the blogosphere is saying about something.

Draft saved Draft deleted