1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story Comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but he is a viking.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My paper tried to encourage us to interact with readers in the comments section.
    I politely declined.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I don't think freedom of speech is valid on a newspaper Web site. It's a private business, so it can keep whatever it wants off. If we want to keep some pedophile from commenting on a high school sophomore's cup size, then we can ban the son of a bitch. That or rip off Chris Hanson.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd probably decline also. Though I can't say how polite I'd be about it.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I would put "interacting with readers in the comment section" under the same Reckless as Hell heading as "communicating with readers back and forth on your blog," and "posting explanations of your articles, and posting scoops, on Internet message boards."

Way too easy to get your words twisted in those situations. And way too easy to get drawn into a foolish conversation.

And: The Internet is the Wild West of communication. It's a medium that lends itself to lawlessness. Moderating comments should be easy in theory. Not so much in practice. A "clever" commenter can slip by a lazy or ignorant moderator pretty easily.

6. Sawker

Sawker New Member

Comments are a good thing for this business, but they absolutely have to be moderated.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes! [SportsJournalists.com]

I mean no! [SportsJournalists.com]

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I should have seen that coming. Lots of folks around here are trashed on a regular basis. What bothered me most about this instance is that the guy approached the paper looking for publicity. Then, when he received it, he had to nit-pick about the coverage.

UPDATE: After a cooling off period, I e-mailed him just to clear the air and let him know I was aware of his concerns. He apologized for being rude, saying that it's because he's German. He played that freedom of speech card, and he reiterated that his beef was that I wrote a story from the same angle he's seen 100 times. Essentially, I'm guilty of not doing something more creative than what other reporters have done. I wrote 10 different replies. I erased each one and finally went with a short note informing him that I'm sorry he didn't like the story and that I will not attend next year's event.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

here's my take on it: fuck 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted