1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story about Chapman's 105 mph heater and the evolution of pitching

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I wonder why ...

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Touche. I guess my point would be that the 10 best sprinters in the world today are significantly faster than the 10 best sprinters in say... 1970. If not 1970, then definitely 1950.

As far as throwing a baseball goes, there are absolutely more guys capable of throwing in the mid to-upper 90's more consistently than 30, 50, 80 years ago. But I highly doubt that, on average, the 10 hardest throwers of today would have significantly more velocity than the 10 hardest throwers of earlier eras.

Maybe there's just something about the mechanics of throwing a baseball and the stress it puts on a shoulder and elbow that means we've reached the threshold of what a human body can do.

I always think of the Sidd Finch hoax. It worked because of George Plimpton's brilliance, of course. But if the story had been about somebody running the 100 in nine seconds flat, I don't think it would've created the buzz it did.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One bare foot and the other in a work boot? Of course it would have!

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Great point about the 1960's Mets. Who was their pitching coach?

The thing about track and field is that, in my opinion, the younger athletes (like the high schoolers) are much faster than they were 20-30 years ago, but at the top levels of the sport things have stayed kind of stagnant. Probably because kids are developing earlier. But if you compare some of the high school times and distances now, compared to the 1980's, the difference is quite significant.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

105 is old news. He hit 106 last night on the Reds' gun.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rube Walker, back-up catcher to Roy Campanella on the early 50s Dodgers (and a teammate of Mets manager Gil Hodges).

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you let me calibrate the gun, I can probably hit 106 too.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think that gun was the same one used to give me my last speeding ticket in Ohio. Let's just say it was equally full of shit.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ask this guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Field goal kicking is another thing that has remained stagnant. Shouldn't kickers be able to boot 70-yarders by now?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Add punting and how far a football can be thrown.

Basically, if equipment is not involved, everything regresses back to the norm.

How far do you think Tiger could have hit a golf ball with a wooden driver and an old shaft?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dusty will find a way to fuck up his arm before the season's over.

Draft saved Draft deleted