1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Storm: a genderless baby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, May 24, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This is a fascinating story. A couple in Canada is determined to raise their baby, Storm, as genderless until he/she commits to one gender or another, genitalia be damned. A few select people know of Storm's sex, but they have been asked to keep this information a secret. Horrible social experiment or a sign of progress? Or none of our business?

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-a-secret

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

On the bright side, Care Bear, you guys can be the first couple in America to do this!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I swear we discussed a very similar story about a year or two ago here.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oops, did we? I don't recall.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This was the front page story on last Saturday's Toronto Star. Most reaction has been decidedly negative. Weird to make your child a sociology experiment .

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not this case obviously, but it sounds very familiar and I'm sure I remember it from here.

I can't remember what country the family was from. Somewhere in Europe maybe.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I don't like the fact that the parents are asking their other young children to keep this secret -- but so much else is wrong with this story, I'm not sure where to begin.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I vehemently disagree.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was afraid this was about Hannah Storm.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Storm is obviously a girl's name anyway.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, you need a fucking license to ride a scooter, but any moron can call themselves a parent.

Humans are, by definition, a specific gender. 'Oh, that's a penis, but it doesn't DEFINE you.' Yes dear, it does. It makes you a male. You can be a male who likes pink and does ballet dances in a Little Mermaid costume, but you're still a male.

The stupid parent: "What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It’s obnoxious."

Really? I thought the child's genetic makeup pretty much constitutes the gender.

Fucking morons.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I had some stuff to say, but you pretty much said it.
    I hope this poor kid isn't as damaged by these dipshits as we fear he or she will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted