1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stories you can't do

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone think of any stories you can't do?

I've thought of one, the local Chamber of Commerce's undemocratic method of selecting a board. Board members have to be nominated by a committee of current board members and then voted on in an up-and-down vote.

Not a big hitter news item, but I don't think it could get published.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was thinking of pitching a story to a local paper about the local community college holding a viewing of the Michael Jackson funeral in its movie theater. However, I never saw more than about 20-some people in that room at any one time.

I couldn't justify it as a story even if I tried.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Stories that criticize your own editors, publishers, parent company. Those would get ya fired.

4. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Funny you say that: this story was about the five people who showed up at a local movie theater to watch Michael Jackson's funeral.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/211023

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Comparing prices at local grocery stores.

Sell-it yourself real estate tips

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Anything that may be seen as unflattering to a car dealer.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Or major sponsors.
    Or potential sponsors.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I was working at newspaper that couldn't run a story about two car dealers shooting at each other on the lot. The newspaper happened to be on the same street as the car dealership. Everyone in the newsroom heard the gunshots. But since the car dealership was an advertiser, nothing every happened on Creekside Road. Move along. Nothing to see here.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sports guy at my station once said "Car dealers are so sleazy..." on the air, as he was chatting with the news anchor as they began the sports segment.

If I recall the chain of events properly, the GM suspended him, then ordered him to write personal letters of apology to every single car dealer that advertised on our air.

Once he had written all of the letters and mailed them off... the GM fired him.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Radio station GMs. The talk about sleaze begins there.

11. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

A college women's assistant basketball coach turning down a head job at a D-I program because she was "married" to the high-powered women's basketball coach she was working under and the high-powered coach nixed it, not wanting her "spouse" several hundred miles away.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Once wanted to write a profile of a hugely successful D-2 volleyball coach, who was "married" to his male assistant - who both lived in my complex.

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted