1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stories like this is what Sundays were made for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dmurph003, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dmurph003

dmurph003 Member

This is a story that ran on the St. Pete Times front today by Thomas Lake and Molly Moorhead. It isn't exactly a sports story, but it's a great piece of reporting and writing. Ex-Cowboy Darren Hambrick plays a central role.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/15/Tampabay/A_chase__an_outcry__t.shtml

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That is an interesting piece, but I still have a lot of questions. I guess everybody does.

3. I'm not sure what I just read

4. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Fascinating. Thanks, dmurph.

In terms of questions/concerns, my biggest one is about the last part. Are we supposed to think that the mom is telling Steele not to talk about Hambrick? Is there any other way to interpret that, in the context of the article? And if there isn't, is that really a fair/responsible thing to print, considering there are so many possible secrets between mother and son?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely shocked that friends of rappers who hang out at a night club would get all highed up and then go kill a cop mostly because they believe cops are racists. I'm shocked that in the lede of that story there wasn't a paragraph that said -- within five minutes of the death of the law breaking idiot who wrapped himself around a plam tree, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton showed up as members of the lynch mob to blame the white cops and Imus.

6. andykent

andykent Member

Dale,

I agree. That's an odd way to end the story. It makes me think there's a Part 2 coming but there was no mention of this being a series. Why leave the reader hanging like that?

7. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I think it leaves the reader hanging because life is leaving the reader hanging. Only his mother and Steele know what was meant in that conversation and they aren't talking right now.

8. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Seems to indicate that they are talking about Hambrick, no? Doesn't seem fair to Hambrick.

Draft saved Draft deleted