1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stories like this are the reason why banks need to be heavily regulated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I closed by BOA account in college and will never, ever open one with them again. When MBNA was bought by BOA, I stopped using that credit card. Cold turkey. I won't give them one fucking penny.

I've had a credit union account going back to college, and that's all I use now. And if I ever end up tying the knot with my current gf, the only pre-nup agreement will be that she close her BOA account.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. And yet I've still been burned by unscrupulous banking tactics.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This thread is a good reminder that I need to stop by the bank tomorrow.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Banks change their fees all the time too -- so the question is not just whether you skim the literature when you sign up but whether you devote equal attention to every mailer and website update they ever issue.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I had a credit card that ended up w/BoA and I went delinquent on it. Shame shame. Anyway, I set up a payment plan and like four years ago it was paid off. But BoA kept deducting from my bank account. I couldn't find anywhere online to stop the charges. I called them once and they were no help. They did send me a refund check every few months, so I just let that keep happening. It's kind of like a savings account!

Now I will be closing that account in the next month, so I am looking forward to imagining BoA having a bit of extra work to do when they get a bounceback that they can't deduct money from a nonexistent account.

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I once worked for a small, well-managed local bank that had all of four branches. We were so into customer service. Our bookkeepers actually would call people and tell them they were overdrawn that day, then ask if they could hustle down to the bank with enough cash to cover the overdraft.

Those days are long gone. And the bank did so well it that one of the biggies swooped in and sucked it up, then slammed the door on anything done too well.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I recently got a letter about a class action suit against BOA for this business practice. The letter made it sound like they had stopped doing that and that they were going to start having the smaller checks go through, then only charge the overdraft fee for the one large one. I guess they haven't put this in place as of yet.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I have my account to send me a text message if my balance falls below a certain amount. They in come around 3-4 a.m. so I always have the rest of that day to make the balance higher and not get charged fees.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's always fascinating to see people on here root for the villain instead of the woman tied to the railroad tracks.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Happy for you.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Johnny Dangerously

Hey, all you have to do is read the fine print. Banks don't ever do anything they're not supposed to.

Draft saved Draft deleted