1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop the Presses - literally - in Charlottesville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moved printing operations to Richmond, press room people out of work in C-ville.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/daily_progress_moves_printing_to_richmond_facility/24475/

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Not the first MG paper to go this route -- a bunch of the North Carolina papers do this -- and I bet this won't be the last ...

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The story says print quality will improve. But will the deadlines? Oh ... you want to know what happened last night?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My MG shop just built a $27 million press, so I'm assuming we won't be going this route any time soon.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, but you're in BFE. :D

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

man, that was one of my dream jobs growing up...had my first byline with the DP... :'(

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah ... I worked in an MG shop that printed off-site, and we had to fight and beg for an 11:30 p.m. deadline to get the Friday night high school football games in ... since I left, they switched this paper's printing to another MG paper, and they now have a drop-dead, no-exceptions 11 p.m. deadline (and it wouldn't surprise me if that gets moved up soon) ...

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here's a practical question: Who will read the Progress after it comes off the T-D presses to check for errors in registration or typos or other issues? Will it be a T-D employee?
    Another thing because I'm clueless: What is the technology that allows the pages to be transferred to the satellite printing site?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Cry me a flippin' river. When I worked for MG in Marianna, Fla., we printed 45 minutes up the road in Dothan, Ala. Deadline was 9:30 Central time.

11. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

In college, we used an FTP server to move PDFs of pages to our print site, then they burned the plates there. And, no, we had no one checking pages for us there. Once it left our building, it was out of our hands.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We do something similar to that at my shop now. Though some of the people there have caught mistakes in folios and whatnot.

Draft saved Draft deleted