1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop the presses ... in Waco

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It screams to your readers, "Look at how irrelevant we are becoming. I mean, look! We don't want you to miss it. See? This football season, we're really giving you less of what you want ... but we're doing a nice job of putting together a pretty package that throws this fact in your face."

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, but doesn't the place in Austin need to hire people in order to do this? I mean SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE has to run the presses, bundle the papers, insert the inserts. Is it more cost efficient to do it at another site? Where's the savings?

And what does this mean for stopping the presses for corrections? Or it that totally gone, too?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Me thinks the suits don't give a rats tail about football. Get the ads in, get the crosswords and comics in and don't misspell the names of the city council. And MAKE DEADLINE!!

So the options are:

1) Run a couple of pages in the Sunday edition.

2) Put a big refer atop the section, saying: "Here are the scores. To find out what happened in the game, log on to www.podunkpress.com" And put all the stories exclusively on the website. Yeah, that'll drive traffic. Who knows? Might sell an ad or two along the way.

3) Pick up a copy of the Dallas Morning News or Austin American-Statesman.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think the DMN delivers to Waco anymore. Even if they did, the old state deadline had no scores in it.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Austin already has those people.
    Now they just need to work smarter, not harder.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yep. I'm at one of the MG papers Doug mentioned and we go at 11 on Friday nights - and that's the drop-dead, special-request deadline. Doesn't do much for prep football coverage. That should go over well in Texas.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So, you're basically just dumping all that work on existing employees. As if they don't have enough to do already? If that's me, i'm asking for some serious OT coin. Ain't printing someone else's paper for nothing.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I think you end up hiring more people in Austin, but you end up with fewer than you had in Waco and, when added with added mileage, it still comes out as a savings in terms of pure cost to print.

Of course, when you factor in the inevitable circulation and advertising decline...

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I doubt they'll hire anyone in Austin. It'll be cheaper just to pay overtime to the employees they have. And the only ones getting extra work are pre-press, pressroom, and the flunkies loading up the truck.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The DMN is available in Waco; however, the AAS has never been. I've always heard that since it and the Waco paper are both owned by Cox, the Statesman would never be on a rack in Waco.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

which are the same positions you just got done laying off in Waco. Vicious cycle.

Draft saved Draft deleted