1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop the Presses...Farewell Jackie Cooper (1922-2011)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bad Guy Zero, May 4, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nicely done, too.

And while Superman IV is pretty forgettable, there's a great scene where Cooper starts climbing the stairs of the Planet and talking about how (paraphrasing here) he wasn't a corporate shill, just an old reporter, who believed in putting out a good paper every day and how he convinced other people to buy the paper from the Murdoch-like tycoon.

Pretty apt for today's papers. RIP

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just remember it would be terribly inappropriate to call him "Chief."

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Jean Darling, who was part of the silent-era "Our Gang" cast - is still alive.

Dickie Moore and Jerry Tucker are the only surviving key actors from the Hal Roach talkie-era.

Robert Blake's stint as a "rascal" came during the shorts produced by MGM after they purchased the rights to the series from Hal Roach.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

When my now-grown son was a little boy, we somehow got a Ted Turner-colorized VHS version of "Treasure Island" and watched it several times. Jackie Cooper was excellent as young Jim Hawkins. Wallace Beery, who to me was just a name from the distant days long before I was around to watch movies, was mesmerizing as Long John Silver.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Cooper, I believe, rather famously was "made a man" by temptress Joan Crawford, who was what now would be known as a MILF relative to Cooper's age at the time.

This was before her no-wire-hangers period, I do believe. She could bring it in her day.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By any measure, one hell of a life. BTW, when I was a very young child, I loved reruns of "The People's Choice," the sitcom in which Cooper was second banana to a talking basset hound.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Loved "The Little Rascals" as a kid, watched them constantly, and I especially loved the oldest of the talkies when Jackie was the most prominent character.

RIP, Jackie. Thanks for the memories.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Indeed ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted