1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop telling me I'm beautiful. I'm ugly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Don't plagiarize me.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

When it's dark a pronounced clavicle can serve as a fine directional point. A fork in the road
    so to speak.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Would.

I spend a lot of time on some forums related to dating. This comes up a lot.

Yes, beauty privilege is real. But the world isn't made up of beautiful people and uggos. It's a bell curve, and the vast majority of us are within a standard deviation of average. The beautiful people just seem ubiquitous because they make up almost all of pop culture and advertising.

The author? She's fine. Right inside that average part of the bell curve with most of the rest of us. She could stand to lose a little weight, but I don't think she's thought about how much social status is implied by being white with good teeth.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My first ex was legit beautiful. She was a more petite, better looking version of Rosario Dawson.

And she was a goddamn blithering idiot who couldn't see past the end of her own nose.

Fuck those people.

HC likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Some of us beautiful people are quite intelligent.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And because we notice them on the street and so forth.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did any parents ever do that question/game when your kids were little -- "would you want your daughter to be smart or beautiful?"

After the obligatory "my daughter will be both" answers, it's a surprisingly difficult question.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I get so tired of people telling my daughter she's pretty, including my mother. Especially my mother. It's a huge issue with me.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. I get that.

But what's the shortest path to happiness for her up until, say, age 22?

10. Mr. Sunshine

Of course it is.

cranberry, Riptide and JackReacher like this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not THAT difficult.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have to catch myself when describing my five-year-old black adopted nephew because the little guy really is a natural athlete but I don't wanna use that phrase out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted