1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop me if you've heard this one before......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"One class? Pshaw. Amateur hour. We had 24 phony classes."

expendable, cjericho and SpeedTchr like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"The NCAA also said a former men's basketball administrative assistant hired by Brown then COMPLETED THE COURSEWORK; she then provided false information to NCAA investigators and also attempted to influence the player to also provide false information."

Having a staffer do his schoolwork, then lie to investigators, sounds like a pretty serious breach to me.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm certain that it a complete coincidence that John Calipari was Larry Brown's assistant at Kansas.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lots of coaches cheat, or at best bend the rules. Larry Brown is just bad at covering his tracks.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He just doesn't care. He hates recruiting, hates the NCAA and it's rules and tells them so when they come asking about violations. He and Rick Majerus both got hammered worse than other coaches because the didn't show any remorse (this was before academic fraud at SMU, that's a different animal than giving kids stuff).

Most coaches go Costanza, "Was that wrong?" They say they are sorry and get slapped on the wrist.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Still don't care. Do people still believe in the "student athlete" horseshit?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know as how the academic side of the house gives a shit about athletic eligibility and the "student-athlete" bit ... but courses taken (and credits awarded) on a pinch-hit basis are not a joking matter.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In a lot of sports at a lot of NCAA schools, yes.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not football and men's basketball, though.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Depends on the school. Outside a few of the factories, the term "student-athlete" is quite appropriate.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wonder what Papelbon thinks about this. If he thinks.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ironically or not, SMU's men's golf team (which includes the current U.S. Amateur champion) also got hit with NCAA sanctions this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted