1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Stop enabling Barstool's shit"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Drew Magary at Deadspin goes after Barstool. I don't read either of them enough to know what the right of this is. I linked it because I don't often see this kind of straight up attack, and because it contains a lot of bile and pissyness. YMMV

https://deadspin.com/stop-enabling-barstools-shit-1833092349

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Barstool Sports, a site for boys who wanna grow up to be Donald Trump Jr. ..." is a hell of an opener ...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with Barstool is that what is fun and irreverant at 24-28 looks really lame at 35.

Smallpotatoes and OscarMadison like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure that was satisfying to write, but you're enabling them by telling people to stop enabling them. Just pouring gasoline on their dumpster fire.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's not wrong, but that also described Deadspin for much of its history.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yawn

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Deadspin is the wrong messenger and always will be. They're the place that employed Daulerio and Greg Howard, Magary's former boss and colleague. I'm no saint, but I'd have to bathe with a soul brush every morning if AJ Daulerio had been my boss.

And Drew, JFC, he was a founder of Kissing Suzy Kolber -- a blog whose very title is predicated on the joke of unwanted male attention.

Deadspin has definitely shifted its tenor in recent years, but they were still fertilized in crap. Don't get me wrong, I like Magary and I think he's funny. I also think a lot of what Barstool does is funny. Deadspin flinging shit at them is too rich by half.

/crossthread

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Monetizing other people's content without their permission was Nick Denton's business model.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    wicked likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting that NASCAR made Portnoy an honorary something or ogre at Daytona. As if we didn’t need another reason to hate NASCAR.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Deadspin complaining about Barstool is like Creed accusing Nickelback of selling out.

OscarMadison and RickStain like this.
  11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"What'd I do?"

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted