1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoops vs. Saban getting good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 23, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he'll never be the biggest prick. That is all Nick's.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Not at all. Just a pot/kettle type thing.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You seen this? Bowlsby - "Cheating pays presently". http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11243234/bob-bowlsby-big-12-commissioner-says-cheating-pays-ncaa-enforcement-broken?src=mobile&rand=ref~{%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fcsnbbs.com%2Fthread-695760.html%22}

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm not getting into a prick measuring contest with you

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There are coaches who are much bigger assholes than Saban. Spurrier is a quote machine, but he's more vindictive than Saban ever was, unless there is a list of LSU or Alabama beat writers who Saban tried to get fired.

Hal Mumme is a bigger asshole than Saban.

The list isn't long. But there is a list. :D

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The thing is, Stoops was right. It was a horseshit thing on Saban's part to marginalize Oklahoma's Sugar Bowl victory by claiming he couldn't get his kids motivated for a "consolation game." Saban's such a wonderful coach, but he can't get his kids ready for a damn Sugar Bowl? I can understand just a little if it was Shreveport.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's just as many lame "rivalries" that existed in the old conference setups.
    How intense, really, was Nebraska-Iowa State? Or Maryland-Georgia Tech? Or West Virginia-Rutgers? Or Florida-Kentucky?
    Conference rivalries stem not just from geography and history, but from competitive games and playing for stakes. Sometimes they can go from nothing to something in a very short time.
    Colorado-Nebraska in the 1990s is a good example. LSU and Auburn played a lot over the years, but a string of memorable, meaningful games from the mid-90s on has made that one of the best SEC rivalries of the last 20 years.
    Bottom line, if Colorado and Cal have some good matchups -- and play frequently enough, which is another key -- they'll get something going. They don't even necessarily have to both be good.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Agree completely, Batman. To pick an example dear to my heart, UVA and Miami, against all odds, have a pretty good, competitive series going. They play every year, and the game has gone down to the wire as often as not. The games are almost always entertaining and compelling. And that's with the teams ranging from "generally down a notch from their historical reputation" (Miami) to "dumpster fire" (UVA).

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it's more than a number of games that separates Missouri vs. Georgia and Missouri vs. Kansas.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No kidding. But is there really a difference between Missouri vs. Georgia and Missouri vs. Texas Tech, or Missouri vs. Oklahoma State?

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As a Kansas alum raised to hate Missouri, I don't miss playing them anywhere near as much as I thought I would. In fact, I really don't miss it at all.

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Why does the Big 12 want a title game? They play all nine. If that's to cut the nine games to eight or even seven, then it's stupid. I guess you could go with two five-team divisions, play the division four times and then five...but you'd be doing the same thing you are now. No, the stupid way is to play everyone in a round-robin then go to what the polls say at the end of the year and take the top two. Let's say a late-bloomer is part of a one-loss three-way tie. They're screwed on this approach.

Draft saved Draft deleted