1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoops vs. Saban getting good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 23, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24634298/bob-stoops-jabs-at-nick-sabans-consolation-game-sugar-bowl-comments

Saban's an ass and Stoops is one coach who finally calls him on it.

Also Art Biles tells Jimbo Fisher to shut up.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11244495/baylor-bears-art-briles-tells-florida-state-seminoles-jimbo-fisher-worry-acc-not-big-12

I'd say not having a Big 12 Conference championship game will be a benefit to the Big 12 champion if that team actually makes the national championship game ... which it hasn't, since the league got smaller and got rid of the game.

With the Spurrier vs. Dabo battle ongoing, these guys are acting a little pissy.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't know if Stoops is as much of a prick as Saban, but he's not too far off.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Big 12 didn't get rid of the game on its own; it had to. Need at least 12 teams in the conference to have a conference title game.

Of course, it would be nice if everyone plays nine conference games, but alas ...

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nine games makes perfect sense for a 10-team league, but it's not a one size fits all solution.
    Personally, I'm hoping if the big boy conferences eventually split off to form their own thing that we get not only a nine-game schedule but a second level of conference playoffs. It makes perfect sense for the 16-team leagues that the ACC, SEC and Big 10 are heading toward.
    In a 16-team league split into four four-team divisions, you'd play nine conference games a year -- three against your own division (which could be set up to preserve the best rivalries as well as geographically) and two each against the other two divisions on a rotating two-year home-and-home basis. That way, within each four-year cycle you'd have played everybody in the league home and away and you restore some competitive balance.
    The catch, though, is that you need to add a conference playoff round (the league semifinals) in addition to a championship game.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Just so long as we maintain big rivalries like Colorado vs. Cal and Nebraska vs. Iowa, I'm all in.

Even now, a few years later, realignment is so stupid it hurts the brain to think about.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bama, of course, would insist on
    seven home games, two road games.

Roll Tide.

8. RecoveringJournalist

What about Nebraska vs. Maryland and Nebraska vs. Rutgers?

9. mb

mb Active Member

For all the talk about 16-team leagues, I'd love to see 18-team leagues, where you play an 8-game league schedule of only your division opponents. Face the other division in the title game. Pissy about losing some fantastic rivalry? Play it as a non-conference game.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, it's time for teams to choose a (one) conference rival. I'm not going to lose any sleep if Alabama and Tennessee no longer play and Florida and LSU don't meet every year. I don't see any of those schools agreeing to a game if it's not part of a conference schedule. Pick one team that you're paired with and that's your conference rival...

I love the idea of four or five 16 or 18-team conferences.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So he's a prick for calling out Saban as a prick?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think he'd established himself as a prick long before he called Saban out.

Draft saved Draft deleted