1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Thomas didn't start, but he played against Denver when Stanton got knocked out of the game with a concussion. He went 1-for-8 but the one was an 81-yard TD pass that made it 24-20 late in the third quarter.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

As opposed to four but two of them were the same? [/petpeeve]

That's why Arians is a frontrunner for Coach of the Year. He's pulled rabbits out of hats.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Green Bay, 2013.

Aaron Rodgers
    Seneca Wallace
    Scott Tolzien
    Matt Flynn

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Bears went 14-2 in 1986 while starting Tomczak (7 games), McMahon (6), Fuller (2) and Flutie (1).

Fuck, that was a defense.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1984 Bears made the playoffs starting five quarterbacks during the season.

Jim McMahon (9 starts)
    Steve Fuller (4)
    Bob Avellini (1)
    Rusty Lisch (1)
    Greg Landry (1)

Lisch was pulled from his start and replaced by ... Walter Payton. Seriously.

6. ryanb

ryanb Member

I remember watching that game. It didn't work very well, if I remember correctly, but they really didn't have much choice.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have vague memories of that game, mostly Payton taking snaps out of the shotgun.

I do remember the Bears/Raiders game from '84 in which both Raider QBs were KOed, and Ray Guy nearly took snaps. Found this pretty interesting Deadspin story on the game.

http://deadspin.com/what-it-was-like-to-play-in-the-most-violent-nfl-game-e-1478281685

That Bears defense was amazing.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Fuck, how did I forget about Wallace? Epic fail.

9. Steelers expected to sign RB Ben Tate ...

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, thanks to youtube, you can now refresh those vague memories:

Poor Rusty Lisch has to live with the ignominy of being the QB who got benched even when there were no other QBs to put in. I can just see Ditka ranting "Fuck it, we'll just play Walter at QB, can't be any worse than this!"

As others here noted, those 80s Bears teams were the gold standard for winning despite a rotating platoon of crappy QBs. It wasn't just one or two seasons, instead seemed like they did that shit for nearly a decade straight. McMahon was injured more often than healthy, and most weeks you really didn't know who'd be playing from amongst the remaining QB crap platter of Avellini, Tomczak, Fuller, Lisch, young Harbaugh, Flutie, etc.

Yet, thanks to great defense and Payton, they usually won anyways.

11. ryanb

ryanb Member

Tate does not inspire confidence given how he faltered with the Browns and Vikings this season.

The good news is the MRI confirmed no structural damage in Le'Veon Bell's knee, though his status for Saturday night is still uncertain. At best, he is going to be limited. Of course, none of the options bring the complete package Bell provides.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...ttsburgh-steelers-avoids-ligament-damage-knee

I've heard and read the talk that Bell didn't do much in the blowout of the Ravens in Heinz Field, but he did catch a touchdown pass, he helped pick up the blitz and he gave the offense a threat Baltimore had to respect. The short week really hurts the Steelers because Bell could have used the extra day to recover, but the league's reasoning that it would be unfair to ask the Bengals to play on short weeks twice in a row makes sense.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whatever gets the Steelers out faster is fine by me.

Draft saved Draft deleted