1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoneman out as Angels GM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 16, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

According to angels page on mlb.com ... Ken Forsch to replace him, apparently.

Good riddance, this Halo fan says.

2. statrat

statrat Member

They are more than welcome to take Bill Bavasi back anytime.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Guess they want to make trades again.

5. Claws for Concern

or sign A-Rod?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up cheering for some godawful Angels teams in the 70s and 80s, I'll cut Stoneman a hell of a lot of slack.

Four playoff appearances and a World Series title in six years? I'll take it.

7. Claws for Concern

He did sign Vlad when the Mets could have had him too. I'll give him that.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

To be fair, Stoneman signed Vladdy after the then-Mets brain trust passed on the right fielder because of his "bad back."

Moreno has been adamant about not-breaking the bank with a FA signing. Could the Angels use ARod? Sure. Who couldn't? But a 10 or 11 year deal at $30 million per will ruin the franchise.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The shock to me was seeing the ESPN crawl..."Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports South is reporting....." maybe LeAnn is starting to crack some heads in Bristol.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a lifelong Halos fan, I have mixed emotions. Four playoff trips in six years. World Series title. But damn, never could pull the trigger to solidify the lineup and get the big bat. I think signing A-Rod would be a mistake despite what it would do for them.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I hope the new GM will start treating the Angels as a major market club. Stoneman never did; something tells me Arte considers his team to be a major market powerhouse, and it's time they start acting like it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Moreno made a lot of noise about being a big-time player when he bought the team, but if he really is saying he won't break the bank for Alex Rodriguez, I wonder if he is really ready to spend the money to back it up.

However at least one Angels fan I know advanced the theory yesterday that this was done because Moreno wants to go after A-Rod and Stoneman was against it.

Draft saved Draft deleted