1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stone Temple Velvet Revolver And Roses: A lousy VH cover band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Watching the Rock and Roll HOF on TIVO and I'm about half an hour behind (hope I didn't miss REM, though I imagine they'll go in last). Velvet Revolver inducted VH and performed a tribute to the band. The chops were good, but Scott Weiland playing the role of DLR? Wow, that just did not work on so many levels.

Weiland worked as a lead singer in the post-metal era and he's OK with Velvet Revolver. But this was like karaoke.

Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony accepted on behalf of the band and did "Why Can't This Be Love." As great as those guys--Anthony, who got bootsed over and over again by Eddie, opened his comments by saying "God bless ya Edward Van Halen" and even thanked Gary Cherone, who is home listening to his Extreme CDs--are and as vital as they were to VH's legacy...wow, it's disappointing that the only guys to accept the induction were guys not named Van Halen.

Whomever said Eddie's rehab stint is code for he's dying is probably right on.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I heard Eddie Vedder was supposed to induct REM.

Does he have a contract that he has to induct someone every other year?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think he does. He's inducting REM right now.

Good line about how no one could ever understand what the fuck Stipe was singing about early.

Suck it Cosmo!!!! :D :D :D

5. why is that a good line?

nobody could understand Stipe through Murmer & Reckoning

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Stipe's voice did get clearer as his career went on. Radio Free Europe was very high on the Dylanometer of mumble.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The delivery made the line. And it was amusing because Vedder has his Stipe-esque moments behind the mic as well.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I effin missed it. Anyone know if re-runs will be on. I really want to see the R.E.M. part.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Saturday night on VH-1, I think.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

In the latest (I think) Rolling Stone, with Cartman on the cover, there's a nice photo section on REM, with the band's remarks on what was happening. In one, Mills talked about how he didn't know what Stipe was saying.

11. the fop

the fop Member

Vedder mostly did a nice job, but could have used an editor. He really rambled at the end.

Have Vedder, Springsteen and Bono now combined to induct everyone? It'll be really weird when a 70-year-old Springsteen inducts Justin Timberlake.

And BYH is right, if you didn't see the show. Scott Weiland's heroin-chic glam rocker thing didn't work singing VH songs. And it didn't help that he stole The Knack's singer's shirt.

12. Slash have anything good to say? More importantly, how well did he play "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love?"

Draft saved Draft deleted