1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stone placed in memory of Va. Tech killer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So, you DO agree with such remembrances of Gacy, Bundy, etc?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What he said.

But I'll add that putting a stone out there for Cho, one time, anonymously, is not a terrible thing to do, in my opinion. It could be a seriously well-meaning act that just looks stupid after the fact.

But Jeebus, when people got upset and wanted it removed, it should have been removed without complaint. She is causing more pain to people who don't need to deal with any more pain, and she's probably too stupid and/or naive to know that. Give it time, idiot. People are still in serious pain over this.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She's too busy being stubborn and proud of herself for taking unpopular stances to care about how other people feel.

Can ya tell this pisses me off?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then based upon your reading, you would understand that your hyperbole of how this woman would react to the deaths of terrorists is incorrect.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Actually, the only conclusion I've come to is that she seems to think her morals are superior to everyone else's. And that, as such, she must do what nobody else is strong enough to do. To hell with how it affects the victims of the tragedy.

Her quotes:

"My family did not raise me to do what is popular," the letter said. "They raised me to do what is morally right. We did not lose only 32 students and faculty members that day; we lost 33 lives."

"I lost friends and acquaintances like a lot of other people; I have mourned this event and continue to deal with the intense disbelief and pain we all are. I am not removed from this incident, I am not heartless and it's not that I don't care about the horrific thing that has happened. But I refuse to do what is popular and agree with everyone around me that only 32 people died on Monday. Thirty-three died."

"There's one in waiting if that's necessary," Johnson said.

So, basically, I'm morally superior to the rest of you. I'll do what I think is right. To hell with the rest of you and your feelings.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe she is obsessive compulsive. Thirty-three people did die that day.

And really, though this certainly seems like a slam dunk case, it's not our place to judge.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

acting as if morally superior to others and to hell with the rest of you ...sounds familiar ....but this is not the place for that. sorry.

as for this, i think what some have said here. i have no problem saying 33 died, which is true, just not sure it belongs int he same place as the memorial of people he killed.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

“To see this community turn on one of its own – no matter what he did – is heartbreaking to me,” Johnson said. “If we’re a community, we’re a community. If we’re a family, we’re a family. You can’t pick and choose your family.”

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And you know what? There's a difference between doing it on a message board and doing it in a place where you're pretty much guaranteed to add to the pain and suffering of people who are already burdened by too much of that already.

AGAIN, time and place. Time and Place.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

His actions are not excusable. Killing is almost never excusable. But this kid was obviously going through some serious problems. Being bullied and teased because of your ethnicity or beliefs is really hard to go through(believe me). Add the fact that he's got mental issues, and you've got yourself a serious problem.

Should they put a stone up? I say let the VTech students decide.

P.S. It's time to take a serious look at bullying in schools.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Your family is blood or legally adopted.

My friends and former baseball teammates are like family. They are not family. If they are not blood (or adopted), and they mess up, it's easier to separate yourself. Cho is not this stupid young'ens family.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My favorite part is "You can't pick and choose your family" when every single one of them picked or chose Va. Tech.

Draft saved Draft deleted